Author Topic: Agility 125/150 Gear up kit  (Read 975 times)

• View Profile
Agility 125/150 Gear up kit
« on: February 14, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
Has anyone ever fitted a Gear up kit to a Kymco. I believe the gears are slightly different to a Chinese GY6 as in shaft sizes.
Does anyone have any details or experience?
Must be someone in the US who knows!  ;)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: Agility 125/150 Gear up kit
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
Yes, I've geared-up 2 Kymcos using gy6 gear kits. One of the stock gears in the set has to be swapped in the standard stock Kymco gear set.  The up-gear set is 2 replacement gears, and there's 4 gears in a complete installed set. In the Kymco, one of the 2 remaining Kymco gears has to replaced with a GY6 gear. The Kymco gear appears to be identical to the GY6 gear, but it has a different inside diameter. If your Kymco is fitted with a QMB/GY6 engine instead of the SD10 engine, you can simply swap in the entire GY6 gear set.  I figured it out by experimenting using gears from the local GY6 recycling-bin. It's not a big deal since the gears are cheap.  Any well-stocked Chinese scooter dealer will have the odd-ball gear in stock, and it's less than $10.  Show the mis-fit Kymco gear to the parts man, and they know exactly which gear you need. Both 50cc and 150cc scooters have the same issue.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 10:24:28 PM »
Yes, I've geared-up 2 Kymcos using gy6 gear kits. One of the stock gears in the set has to be swapped in the standard stock Kymco gear set.  The up-gear set is 2 replacement gears, and there's 4 gears in a complete installed set. In the Kymco, one of the 2 remaining Kymco gears has to replaced with a GY6 gear. The Kymco gear appears to be identical to the GY6 gear, but it has a different inside diameter. If your Kymco is fitted with a QMB/GY6 engine instead of the SD10 engine, you can simply swap in the entire GY6 gear set.  I figured it out by experimenting using gears from the local GY6 recycling-bin. It's not a big deal since the gears are cheap.  Any well-stocked Chinese scooter dealer will have the odd-ball gear in stock, and it's less than $10.  Show the mis-fit Kymco gear to the parts man, and they know exactly which gear you need. Both 50cc and 150cc scooters have the same issue.

Many thanks for your reply. I have seen the exact same photo and this is what i suspected. It's not as simple in the UK getting or swapping gears at your local dealer. I will have to order a set of Gears and then have them machined or sleeved to fit.
What gear ratio did you use (or teeth numbers 15/37 or 18/36) and what was the increase in speed or change? I really want an extra 7 or 8 genuine mph more.

Any details will be very useful before I order from Ali Express.

Many thanks
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:58:15 AM by 118118 »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:03:42 AM »
It is just about as simple as I have described.  All gy6 engines have identical parts, regardless of which of the 100+ manufacturers you choose.  That's one of the most amazing benefits of Chinese technology.  I hope you don't have to go to the machine shop. The stock gears are easy to find.  It might even be cheaper to just buy a scrap Chinese scooter, take the gear set, and recycle the rest. I can't recall the gear teeth count of the new gears, but it's approx 10% speed change.  That's not quite what you were looking for, but it's noticeable and fits nicely with a 75cc BBK.  It means the upgeared scoot can cruise easily at 60-65kph instead of wheezing along at 50kph.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()