Author Topic: For Mac  (Read 442 times)

Snorvey

• View Profile
For Mac
« on: January 13, 2018, 03:42:12 PM »
One for Mac, because I know he's into wartime history.

My local area has been home to a Royal Air Force base since before the 2nd World War. One of it's most famous missions was it's role as the final staging post for the attack on the German battleship 'Tirpitz'. Several attacks had been launched on the battleship, some more successful than others. She retreated to hide in a Norwegian fjord whilst undergoing repairs, but the RAF with heavily modified bombers flew 1200 miles into the Arctic Circle to attack her.

Further operations against Tirpitz took place between September and November 1944. Operation Catechism finally resulted in the German battleship being sunk near Tromsø on 12 November 1944. Thirty-eight Lancasters of No. 9 Squadron and No. 617 Squadron launched from Lossiemouth, Kinloss and Milltown and destroyed the vessel with Tallboy bombs.[16] Nearly 50 years later, No. 617 Squadron transferred to Lossiemouth and was based there between 1993 and 2014. Examples of the Tallboy, Grand Slam and Up Keep (bouncing bomb) were on display within the squadron site.[17]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Lossiemouth

A fascinating documentary about Attack on the Tirpitz with footage from the bombers as well as commentary from both the German sailors and the RAF airmen (I hope you can see this from where you are)

23 minutes 12 secs is where the attack footage begins

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the+dambusters%27+great+escape%3a+secret+history&&view=detail&mid=CEE3BF09E6CA3684806DCEE3BF09E6CA3684806D&FORM=VRDGAR

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: For Mac
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
Words cannot express my gratitude for the effort you have put forth to putting this information, concerning the RAF's sinking of the Germany battleship, Tirpitz, together for me. Thank you, my friend.
This is one story from that war that I was unaware of. I will place it in my WW2 archive. I knew that the RAF invented skip bombing I have several friends who love WW2 history also and I will share it with them. I would love to be able to walk down that shore line where the artifacts are laying about. The RAF and the USAAC (Army Air Corps) worked very well together. (The U.S military did not have a separated branch for the air force until after that war), but I'm sure you knew that. I've collected a lot of information about the U.S. military of that era, as my father was in the a member of a B24D bomber, bomb group, the 499th, stationed in Italy. He bombed Germany in 1943 - 45 and I was stationed in Germany in 1967 and was amazed at how much bomb damage was still visible. War is a terrible thing.
Snow on the ground here and more on the way, but until my broken hip heals, (3-4 mo.) I can't ride anyway. Take care my friend and thanks again.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:00:15 PM »
 You're very welcome Mac. I knew you were recuperating and thought you might like some reading / viewing material.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:35:38 PM »
Yes, that is just what I needed. Spending lots of time on the PC now that the hip and weather has me cabin bound. I'll be a raving lunatic before this is over. I think there are probably worse places to be confined. LOL Thanks again.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()