Author Topic: Tough guy. Tough Scooter.  (Read 1290 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Tough guy. Tough Scooter.
« on: December 24, 2017, 01:44:51 AM »
A couple of nights ago I stopped by a Waffle House near my home around 1:00AM. I noticed a Scooter parked outside. The owner and I were leaving about the same time. His Scooter was a 49cc (Wolf, I think ) purchased from one of our local Scooter dealers. I assumed he was only a couple of miles from home. But he told me where he lived. And he was OVER 30 miles  from home. At least 25 of those miles would be traveled on a rural two lane stretch of US 90. Traffic is not too heavy at that hour. But it’s usually moving at 60, 70, 75 mph. Anyway, I found that he had already traveled about 15 miles or so through town.

Anyway, that was his REGULAR mode of transportation to work in Tallahassee , Fl and back to The next City of Monticello, Fl. He stated that he traveled at speeds of up to 45 (I think he has a wildly optimistic speedometer) . He stated that he had a little over an hour or so remaining. Waffle House was his regular stop off if he needed a break.
 I could never see myself riding OVER 45 miles ONE WAY DAILY on a 49 cc Scooter. Nor can I see a 49 cc Scooter surviving any length of time operated under those conditions. But I admire both him AND the Scooter for being determined to work day after day even though it’s a tough trip. Most guys would simply make an excuse as to why they can’t work because they don’t have suitable transportation to travel that far.

My only criticism... He had NO HELMET on because he didn’t feel he needed it traveling that slow . I told him that even 35-40 mph can do a lot of damage to the human body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Tough guy. Tough Scooter.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 02:36:20 AM »
Man oh man, what a story. I couldn't see me riding that small and that far in my best days. If he's traveling a highway where traffic normally moves at 65 to 70 mph on a 49cc, he'd better put all the body armor on he can get and a real good helmet because sooner or later he's gonna wind up part of somebody's under carriage.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 03:11:21 AM »
Man oh man, what a story. I couldn't see me riding that small and that far in my best days. If he's traveling a highway where traffic normally moves at 65 to 70 mph on a 49cc, he'd better put all the body armor on he can get and a real good helmet because sooner or later he's gonna wind up part of somebody's under carriage.
That’s my fear. If I see him again, he’s going to end up knowing me as the old (to him) guy with the fake leg who constantly nags him about getting a helmet and other safety riding gear.
 I want him to have at least a fighting chance at surviving a bad incident.

2009 Xciting 250

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
You know what I can see me doing that myself in the spring to fall months but not in our winter too damn cold and windy. But yeah dude needs a lid considering that he is driving at night.

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »
Nor can I see a 49 cc Scooter surviving any length of time operated under those conditions.
Perhaps just "luck of the draw" . . but some seem to figure it out!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
Perhaps just "luck of the draw" . . but some seem to figure it out!

Agree....freq oil changes, refrain from WOTing the engine, cool it with the "performance" add-ons and most scooters will last for thousands of miles.
It seems that the really fast re-builds often experience blow ups....or suffer rider "incidents".
Either of which put will paid to the scooter riding.
Just an observation....

As for the subject of this thread - I've read of a
Metropolitan rider and 2 riders of small SYMs who have survived many a mile on their scooters. So, it can be done.

imho - night riding, while being overtaken repeatedly by upwards
of 45mph  - is expecting way too much of vehicle drivers in the dark.

Stig
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:29:29 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
45 mph (optimistically) in the dark on the highway definitely seems like a bigger issue than the lack of helmet.

Wanting to get away with the smallest bike I can, I keep wondering about the longevity issue. Does running it hard like that really shorten the life that much? And what's the cause of failure?

Personally, I find it hard to be impressed with 6000 miles.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:58 PM »
He's doing 30mph and they're doing 75mph....so, he's being overtaken by cars going 45mph faster than he is....
 In the dark.
Mile after mile.
Wearing a Bubba Shrimp ball cap for protection.

Good thing no one texts, or plays with the radio knobs, or eats a Big Mac, or drops a Marlboro in their lap while driving down there in Florida.
Stig
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:22:55 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »
I applaud him for continuing to work even though his mode of transport is woefully inadequate. Hopefully one day soon he will be able to afford a faster scooter or an automobile!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 03:23:33 AM »
I applaud him for continuing to work even though his mode of transport is woefully inadequate. Hopefully one day soon he will be able to afford a faster scooter or an automobile!
That’s my thought too. I just hope he survives long enough on those dangerous highways.
To be honest, I know how fast I drive on that stretch of highway at night in my Town Car. I like to think I’m careful. But even so, I wouldn’t expect to run up on a slow moving vehicle at 1AM. But now I’ll pay special attention if only in anticipation of him.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 03:28:42 AM »
Agree....freq oil changes, refrain from WOTing the engine, cool it with the "performance" add-ons and most scooters will last for thousands of miles.
It seems that the really fast re-builds often experience blow ups....or suffer rider "incidents".
Either of which put will paid to the scooter riding.
Just an observation....

As for the subject of this thread - I've read of a
Metropolitan rider and 2 riders of small SYMs who have survived many a mile on their scooters. So, it can be done.

imho - night riding, while being overtaken repeatedly by upwards
of 45mph  - is expecting way too much of vehicle drivers in the dark.

Stig
I simply cannot see him NOT driving close to WOT , especially for that distance. He implied that he drives nearly all it’s go. It doesn’t look like he fussed over the appearance. But perhaps he’s like me with my cars, change the oil even if I don’t wash it. Lol.

The best thing about that stretch of Highway is that there are not many blind curves and hills.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 03:38:50 AM »
He's doing 30mph and they're doing 75mph....so, he's being overtaken by cars going 45mph faster than he is....
 In the dark.
Mile after mile.
Wearing a Bubba Shrimp ball cap for protection.

Good thing no one texts, or plays with the radio knobs, or eats a Big Mac, or drops a Marlboro in their lap while driving down there in Florida.
Stig
My thoughts exactly. Although a helmet wouldn’t offer much protection in a contest with a four wheeled vehicle, it would offer some protection if he has to quickly move to the shoulder to avoid being rear ended and has intimate contact with a tree or sign.

My close encounter with a sign taught me the importance of a helmet. I believe my head hit the Scooter windscreen. I KNOW it hit the ground/gravel/ asphalt. And I’m thankful I’m here to tell about it.

2009 Xciting 250

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 03:02:31 AM »
To be honest, I know how fast I drive on that stretch of highway at night in my Town Car. I like to think I’m careful. But even so, I wouldn’t expect to run up on a slow moving vehicle at 1AM. But now I’ll pay special attention if only in anticipation of him.

You've got to be on the constant lookout for alligators dashing into the road anyways.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 05:45:14 AM »
You've got to be on the constant lookout for alligators dashing into the road anyways.
On that particular stretch of highway I can’t recall seeing any gators. But I can’t rule it out because it passes over Lake Miccosukee which has plenty of alligators in it.

2009 Xciting 250

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 06:10:38 PM »
Nor can I see a 49 cc Scooter surviving any length of time operated under those conditions.

If it's 4stroke scoot, it is in fact being driven in ideal conditions. Most scoots are subjected to start/stop system, and they are never properly warmed up during short route city driving. This guy's scoot is driven at ideal rpms and it is always well warmed up. Do not be surprised if this little scoot does 50 or 60k kms (or miles) without any intervention on the engine itself.

Scoots that are driven all the time at high speed have increased need for maintenance of CVT though.

My biggest problem in this scenario would be boredom at low speed. I have been commuting daily 25 kms (round trip), most of the time I had 200, 250 and 300 cc scoots (and 750 cc bike), and I am already bored of the same road. Driving 50 cc scoot for 60 miles daily would be excruciating. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()