Author Topic: Freeway run  (Read 1391 times)

mrjlube

• View Profile
Freeway run
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
Hi guys,hope everyone is doing well. I have an 09 xciting 500ri  with 7,000 miles and loving every minute of it except the fact it wont start under 40 degrees. Any way.....i went for a cruise about 100 miles today and speeds were between 65 and 75 mph. My front end felt very light and made me nervous to take corners at that speed. A very weird feeling. What would help with that? I am 210lbs, shocks set at 4, 29lbs air in front and 35lbs in rear. I would really appreciate any feedback you may have for me. Maybe could be i havent been on the freeway much this year, i xont know,but never remember feeling so nervous to where i have to slow to 60 to take the curve than back up to speed...lol

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Freeway run
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
You sure your tyre was inflated to correct pressure.?
Regarding starting issues : i had same issue. I suggest stator, regulator, gel battery and if really needed, a trickle battery charger.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »
You sure your tyre was inflated to correct pressure.?
Regarding starting issues : i had same issue. I suggest stator, regulator, gel battery and if really needed, a trickle battery charger.

In terms of starting I added a 12v battery same size as original in parallel and that has helped enormously.  A bit of work getting it in also keep batteries topped up with trickle charger..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
I hope that works out for you.  I tried that for awhile, but my charging system was not up to scratch and they would both go flat. So, a new stator came into the picture, and then a regulator.

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »
I hope that works out for you.  I tried that for awhile, but my charging system was not up to scratch and they would both go flat. So, a new stator came into the picture, and then a regulator.

Yep same problem, so tested the alternator field windings, tested okay, tested the regulator (as per book workshop book instructions) and it needed to be replaced.  That done it appears to work fine.  Still keep the trickle charger working. 

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
Go to ebay motors and type in (BOX), Xciting 500 batteries. You will find a few lithium battery sellers. I would go with the one that sells for around $208.00! That should do the trick. If bike won't start with the lithium the first try, turn the key on for about 1 minute or so, the battery will heat up, and the cranking amps will go up as well, as the battery heats up. Every time you crank the engine, the cranking amps go up on a lithium battery, not down like on a lead acid. Sounds strange, but this is how they work. Should fire right up. :-*

Ossie Carter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
Go to ebay motors and type in (BOX), Xciting 500 batteries. You will find a few lithium battery sellers. I would go with the one that sells for around $208.00! That should do the trick. If bike won't start with the lithium the first try, turn the key on for about 1 minute or so, the battery will heat up, and the cranking amps will go up as well, as the battery heats up. Every time you crank the engine, the cranking amps go up on a lithium battery, not down like on a lead acid. Sounds strange, but this is how they work. Should fire right up. :-*
Sounds like a great way to get over the problem.  Good one ...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()