Author Topic: 2009 kymco agility. All off a sudden started running rough during a ride  (Read 1438 times)

Jrglisso

• View Profile
Hey guys. New to the board. Be patient with me. Have had motorcycles  my whole life so I’m not completely ignorant to them but I am damn sure not mechanically savvy. I have a 2009 kymco agility 125. Has about 9k miles on it. All of a sudden on the way to work the other day it started to run rough. My fuel gauge some times works and some times doesn’t. I walked it to the gas station to find it still had half a tank. I have now replaced the spark plug and fuel filter. Poured som sea foam in the tank and it still runs rough. So rough it will die constantly. . Before I take it to a local scooter repair shop, I want to exhaust all possibilities. Can anyone point me in a certain direction of what else to check for? Bad gas?? Hopefully that simple. I drive every day so it’s not been sitting for a while.

P.s. it’s very temperamental. Some times I can start it and can drive it 100 yards down the road, some times it won’t run for 5 seconds
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:26:58 PM by Jrglisso »

kel520

• View Profile
Re: 2009 kymco agility. All off a sudden started running rough during a ride
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
Sounds like fuel starvation, I'd check your diaphragm in your carb, fuel filter blockage, anything like that. If it starts ok from cold the auto choke will be on calling for more fuel, once it warms up, it goes off, if this is when your bike dies it's a good indicator of fuel starvation.
As to your gauge, check the float by removing it from the tank, simple float devise, careful how you remove it, the float only just comes through the hole. With the ignition on you can move the float up and down by hand, and see how your needle responds if at all, check the contacts, float for damage. If it seems ok but doesn't respond I'd look for loose wire/bad connection.
Make sure you put the float back facing the right way so you get rise and fall in the largest part of the tank.
My gauge would only read from full down to about half and no further, some numpty and installed it wrong and the float was catching on the upper part of the tank !

Jrglisso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »
Hey man, thank you for your response. I have now replaced the carb, same thing. Replaced the fuel filter also with one from the auto parts store. I have inspected my lines and have seen no leaks. I guess I could start replacing every fuel line? I am stumped.
Sounds like fuel starvation, I'd check your diaphragm in your carb, fuel filter blockage, anything like that. If it starts ok from cold the auto choke will be on calling for more fuel, once it warms up, it goes off, if this is when your bike dies it's a good indicator of fuel starvation.
As to your gauge, check the float by removing it from the tank, simple float devise, careful how you remove it, the float only just comes through the hole. With the ignition on you can move the float up and down by hand, and see how your needle responds if at all, check the contacts, float for damage. If it seems ok but doesn't respond I'd look for loose wire/bad connection.
Make sure you put the float back facing the right way so you get rise and fall in the largest part of the tank.
My gauge would only read from full down to about half and no further, some numpty and installed it wrong and the float was catching on the upper part of the tank !

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
How 'bout a stuck vacuum operated fuel valve?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Jrglisso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:39 AM »
Sounds like a good possibility!  Can you point me in the direction of where on the scooter it is? Is it something that can be cleaned? Or do I need to purchase a new one?

How 'bout a stuck vacuum operated fuel valve?

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 09:11:41 AM »
I am also new and just had a look at how a CVT belt and transmissions actually work.

Maybe you should also have a close look at the drive belt condition, as well drive pulley condition.
 Apparently the pulleys start getting grooves by time, and scooters start behaving quite strange when the pulleys get worn like that.

Just a guess.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
Vacuum operated fuel shut off AND vacuum operated vent valve. Both are cheapo and will stick. C'mon, hurry up! Dyin' to know whet caused this! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
I am also new and just had a look at how a CVT belt and transmissions actually work.

Maybe you should also have a close look at the drive belt condition, as well drive pulley condition.
 Apparently the pulleys start getting grooves by time, and scooters start behaving quite strange when the pulleys get worn like that.

Just a guess.
scooterfan,
Thanks for your post.....but just for your future scooter experiences : The CVT parts will not cause a no-start engine, nor will the CVT cause an engine shut off.
If the engine won't keep running - you needn't look under the CVT cover for the cause. You can see videos of a scooter running on its center stand - with no belt installed in the CVT.
Ride safe...
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Good, clean, snug grounds....incl. battery terminals?
Intake air leak....cracked rubber, loose intake clamp?
Faulty coil to plug (plug wire, coil, plug cap) ....good blue spark when grounding the plug?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 03:22:06 PM »
scooterfan,
Thanks for your post.....but just for your future scooter experiences : The CVT parts will not cause a no-start engine, nor will the CVT cause an engine shut off.
If the engine won't keep running - you needn't look under the CVT cover for the cause. You can see videos of a scooter running on its center stand - with no belt installed in the CVT.
Ride safe...
Stig

Oops, sorry - maybe I missed something.  I didn't realize the engine didn't start, and shuts off by itself.
I will have another look at the original post again.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »
I would suspect the fuel vaccuum pump also. Could even just be a crack in the hose leading it it, in an easy world
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()