Author Topic: shipping a scooter - advice ?  (Read 2044 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: shipping a scooter - advice ?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »
Stig, I volunteer to ride your Burg to Seattle and take the bus home!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Abner_Bjorn

• 5280 Scooter Group Rides on FB
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 11:49:02 PM »
I have shipped two scooters this summer without incident.  One from Denver to Austin.  I sent the buyer a PayPal invoice for 1/2.  He arranged shipping on uship.com.  He found a guy delivering a trailer 30 miles from me and heading back to Texas empty.  He was able to get the scooter shipped to his door for $180.  As soon as the shipper contacted me to set an appointment, I sent the PayPal invoice for the second half.  Once the second half payment was received, I mailed the paper work and one key priority mail.  Second scooter was from Denver to Hawaii.  Same payment method.  I had to deliver the scooter to a nearby Honda dealer who crated it for the shipper to pick up.   Was really simple.  The guy in Hawaii sent me his profile on Uship, so I could see he had been trying to buy this type of scooter for the last 7 months.    Both of these sold for more than I could have got locally.  Don't listen to the naysayers, just be diligent as I'm sure you always are. 
Less chit chat, more riding.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 01:29:59 AM »
Stig, I volunteer to ride your Burg to Seattle and take the bus home!

Karl

You're on Karl!
I'm  making PP&J sandwiches for you ...bought a cold pack to keep the moonpies from melting into a lump, and refilled a couple Amsoil bottles with fresh drinking water.
Here's 20 bucks to get you started home from Seattle.
There's  another $200 for gas under the seat.
Meet at O'Dark:30, under the bridge.
ATTGAT - !
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 01:35:32 AM »
I have shipped two scooters this summer without incident.  One from Denver to Austin.  I sent the buyer a PayPal invoice for 1/2.  He arranged shipping on uship.com.  He found a guy delivering a trailer 30 miles from me and heading back to Texas empty.  He was able to get the scooter shipped to his door for $180.  As soon as the shipper contacted me to set an appointment, I sent the PayPal invoice for the second half.  Once the second half payment was received, I mailed the paper work and one key priority mail.  Second scooter was from Denver to Hawaii.  Same payment method.  I had to deliver the scooter to a nearby Honda dealer who crated it for the shipper to pick up.   Was really simple.  The guy in Hawaii sent me his profile on Uship, so I could see he had been trying to buy this type of scooter for the last 7 months.    Both of these sold for more than I could have got locally.  Don't listen to the naysayers, just be diligent as I'm sure you always are. 
Thank you for your post!
Fingers crossed...and ....well, I  tend to think the best of people.
With caution , pretty certain things will work out.
But again, thanks for your comments. And thanks to all who've weighed in on this. Truly appreciated.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 05:19:32 AM »

Great pattern to follow. Seems like you did due diligence. You avoided two extremes: showing blind trust and being gullible , AND avoiding paranoia that would have prevented you from selling to a legitimate purchaser. As with most things in life , striking that delicate balance is the key.

I had a great experience with Uship as well. And when I met the couple  who delivered my tractor, I got the satisfaction of knowing that I had also supported a "regular " independent husband and wife owned business. I think that many of the people Uship deals with are that type of business.
2009 Xciting 250

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:28:21 PM »
Really, this should not be a difficult task.
There's empty pickup beds and trailers with free space going every which direction...
Putting the contacts together, and the liability insurance are the major concerns after payment.
Great thread !
redk

toddfahrner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 05:06:32 AM »
I'm the buyer. Bike arrived today via http://1aamotorcycles.com/, who had the best quote. I bit my tongue with all the comments here about what kind of scam I must be pulling, but held off responding until everything buttoned up. Stig's bike was by far the best condition, low mileage AN400  I could find at a good price, low enough to offset the shipping cost. I felt comfortable buying sight unseen because of Stig's above-board public profile and reputation as very diligent about maintenance, much of the service history documented in another forum. That's worth a lot to me for my first motor vehicle at age 51 (I'm a bicycle guy).

I picked it up at the freight terminal and rode it 70 miles in rush hour traffic to a campsite where I'm currently hanging in my hammock admiring the milky way. First ride on any motorized 2-wheeler! The wind buffeting at highway speed was a bit scary, but i'll learn. Twisties fun! I let tailgaters pass because taking it slow until I'm more skilled. It's been a pleasure. Thanks Stig!

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
I'm the buyer. Bike arrived today via http://1aamotorcycles.com/, who had the best quote. I bit my tongue with all the comments here about what kind of scam I must be pulling, but held off responding until everything buttoned up. Stig's bike was by far the best condition, low mileage AN400  I could find at a good price, low enough to offset the shipping cost. I felt comfortable buying sight unseen because of Stig's above-board public profile and reputation as very diligent about maintenance, much of the service history documented in another forum. That's worth a lot to me for my first motor vehicle at age 51 (I'm a bicycle guy).

I picked it up at the freight terminal and rode it 70 miles in rush hour traffic to a campsite where I'm currently hanging in my hammock admiring the milky way. First ride on any motorized 2-wheeler! The wind buffeting at highway speed was a bit scary, but i'll learn. Twisties fun! I let tailgaters pass because taking it slow until I'm more skilled. It's been a pleasure. Thanks Stig!

Glad it worked out for all concerned Todd.  Just remember to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up & ya should be good to go.

Vaguely possible I'll see ya on the road at some point.  I try to do a run to cementhenge via FR25 once a year or so & have been known to bump to Portland as well.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »

Todd old Bean ---
You were a pleasure to deal with!
I trust you'll take it easy for awhile. ...and stay on top of the oil/filter changes?
Most guys go with a taller screen for highway riding on the 400....I happen to like the breeze with that sport Ermax, but it is exciting at 70mph!
The battery tender pig tail is in the left side, waiting for a tender to keep the big YUASA 100% if parked for awhile.
Glad to have met you --- plenty of good people still around...even on the Left Coast!
Ride safe
Tom
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()