Author Topic: Do you turn off scooter w/kill switch??  (Read 10902 times)

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
Re: Do you turn off scooter w/kill switch??
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
I was told in motorcycle training to use the kill swich. So in an emergency you will hit it without hesitation.

ScooterNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 04:18:02 AM »
I always use it.  :D
2014 Kymco Like 200i LX

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
never
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
I use the key only and have never had any problems.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Petey4

• 2015 Like 200i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:05 PM »
I followed up with my mechanic today about this. He said it was "known" that 200i's can have trouble restarting after using the kill switch. He said the CDI freaks out. Resetting involves 5-10 quick on/off cycles with the key. His advice? Don't use the kill switch.

Of course this is not relevant to owners who have had no problems with the switch. But for someone who has had restarting trouble every time I've used it, his advice makes sense.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
Forbes1984.
Wow.
I hope you are healed up and OK now.
Yes, I've kinda been through that type of sequence before.  A few times.
Then, others, I'm just kinda shaking myself off, wondering how whatever it was happened.
( Many years on the dirtbikes, we Were gonna crash at least a few times each day.. )
Good to be here talking about it.  :-)
redk

I will never forget my friend Ray, as we were side-hilling on a loose shale surface when he decided to put up his foot to gain some leverage around a cactus, which promptly broke off, leaving him with his bluejeans and leg full of cactus spines, right where he fell !  lol

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:43 PM »
Forbes1984.
Wow.
I hope you are healed up and OK now.
Yes, I've kinda been through that type of sequence before.  A few times.
Then, others, I'm just kinda shaking myself off, wondering how whatever it was happened.
( Many years on the dirtbikes, we Were gonna crash at least a few times each day.. )
Good to be here talking about it.  :-)
redk

I will never forget my friend Ray, as we were side-hilling on a loose shale surface when he decided to put up his foot to gain some leverage around a cactus, which promptly broke off, leaving him with his bluejeans and leg full of cactus spines, right where he fell !  lol
Yes, I'm up and about. Back at work. I still have two legs. But one is original equipment. And the other is an "aftermarket edition " . Lol. But I'm thankful. I'm still getting used to the prosthesis. But I'm adapting well. God is good. I've shared a lot of my progress and struggles in another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 01:53:39 AM »
I followed up with my mechanic today about this. He said it was "known" that 200i's can have trouble restarting after using the kill switch. He said the CDI freaks out. Resetting involves 5-10 quick on/off cycles with the key. His advice? Don't use the kill switch.

Of course this is not relevant to owners who have had no problems with the switch. But for someone who has had restarting trouble every time I've used it, his advice makes sense.

Yeah,

I kinda agree with your mechanic.
I've been told that the kill switch on some bikes/scoots is a quick interrupt - but not in the healthiest mechanical/electrical sequence - to get the engine shut down.

There's deciding to hold your breath - then there's choking on a chicken bone.
Like that....good science!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 04:29:48 AM »
I should use the red stop/run switch just like MSF BRC said but I don't. I should use the switch just to keep it exercised. I ain't to sure about the "scramble" thing, cause all it does is cut power just like the key and the sidestand switch.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 05:29:20 AM »
I should use the red stop/run switch just like MSF BRC said but I don't. I should use the switch just to keep it exercised. I ain't to sure about the "scramble" thing, cause all it does is cut power just like the key and the sidestand switch.

Karl
I agree. Off is off. And to my knowledge it doesn't cut power to anything that is not cut when the key is turned. I haven't riden in a while. Refresh my memory. Does the emergency kill switch turn everything off, or just the engine? If my memory is correct, it simply cuts power to the engine, but the rest of the electrical system is still on.

At any rate, we humans are creatures of habit. And muscle memory allows us to do things by instinct without thinking. Using that logic, if an emergency happens, we'll hit the kill switch without thinking and without having to take our hands off the handlebars rather than instinctively trying to use the key and drive one handed.

Just my thinking....

2009 Xciting 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53:42 AM »
If you try to start with the emergency kill in the off position and the engine spins but doesn't start, then it only grounds the coil. On the other hand , same as about and nothing happens, then it has disabled the ignition and everything else. It can be either way, depending on the brand of bike. The NTSB only requires the the emergency kill switch stops the motor.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2017, 05:55:51 AM »
If you try to start with the emergency kill in the off position and the engine spins but doesn't start, then it only grounds the coil. On the other hand , same as about and nothing happens, then it has disabled the ignition and everything else. It can be either way, depending on the brand of bike. The NTSB only requires the the emergency kill switch stops the motor.
[emoji1474]

2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
[emoji1474]

Thanks guys!
TAPI
(The American  Poultry  Industry)

not stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()