Author Topic: Starting problems  (Read 725 times)

jesseg010

• View Profile
Starting problems
« on: July 18, 2017, 07:11:29 PM »
Upon driving the bike I heard a loud "ping" sound from the engine then it immediately died. Engine will not turn over now . It sounds like the flywheel is very hard to turn when engaging the electric starter. I disassembled the starter and bendix for inspection, (the bendix seem to turn freely and starter spins when engaged) then reinstalled them. I later charged the battery. The flywheel gear still sounds tough to start and won't make a complete revolution to start the engine. I'm stuck on this situation and would really appreciate some help. Thanks.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:13:41 PM »
Pull the plug out and see if the motor spins any better. If you can't get it to turn a complete revolution
by hand then you have some serious internal issues. Not good news, I know. Let us know what you find.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

jesseg010

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 08:32:33 PM »
OK.if I understood you correctly I pulled the spark plug out and tried the ignition. Unfortunately there is same issue. I did happen to pull the belt and clutch cover off to inspect and noticed the bendix was turning the flywheel clockwise,is this correct?
Thank you.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 06:02:13 AM »
Yes the flywheel should turn clockwise, however you can't see the flywheel from the belt side. The flywheel is on the other side. Everything in the belt side should be turning counter-clockwise.. You may see the starter output shaft and gear rotating clockwise but it is going thru a reduction  set-up that turns the crankshaft clockwise. All gas engines that I know of rotate clockwise, as viewed from the right side of the bike. Can you try and turn the engine over one complete revolution by hand? If it hits a stop and won't move then you have something broken inside the engine. I hope I haven't confused you. I have a way of explaining things in a way that is some times hard for others to understand. If you will just try the hand rotation thing and find out if it will turn completely over and it doesn't, then all I've said above won't matter, you're looking at an engine tear down. Hopefully that won't be the case. Keep us posted and good luck.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()