Author Topic: CDI compatibility  (Read 4121 times)

Dabby-D

• View Profile
CDI compatibility
« on: July 01, 2017, 06:29:42 PM »
So my CDI is failing, sometimes acting intermittent and most the time doing nothing. I have a 2005 S9 w/ SH10B motor and DC Suitai D418 CDI and tried replacing it with the Naraku NK390.04 thats suggested on all the websites, Nothing. I Have documented the correct signal from my Stator, but replaced it anyways. I got a spare pretty much cause they both read the same and work. the regulator is working because i have lighting. Everything is new, and my old cdi worked for just a little and then cut out on me on the road, the new one nothing, so the problem is clear. I could provide feedback with numbers, but im a gear head, not a nerd haha. Anyways, anybody know a good CDI that works for a 2005 S9 w/ SH10B (the recalled motor) There was no way i was turning it over for an air cooled 2t.
2005 Super 9 LC - Airsal (T6) 73.8cc BBK
Battery: Chromes-Pro I-gel w/ self tester & LCD
Stator:(soon) Artek K2 rotor w/light
cooling:(soon) Bosh 12v water pump
Carb: 19mm PHGB (soon)Yoshimura 24
Air filter: Malossi E5 chrome
Variator: Malossi - Clutch: Malossi MHR Delta
Exhaust: technigas Next-R

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: CDI compatibility
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 07:50:20 PM »
Looks like a lotta changes all at once. Compatibility problems, maybe?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Dabby-D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:27:34 PM »
I was thinking the same thing and never got anything to happen with the replacement CDI , the old CDI fired right up out of nowhere and then 30 mins into a ride it dies and never starts again. If it could run with the old CDI, i guess that i eliminated the incompatibility problem. I gotta say the performance was a bit rough, the light and dark green wires were disconnected at the time. Everything has normal ohms and wattage at the connectors, and i have a spare wiring harness if there was a real electrical concern. I dont feel like i gotta take it that far though.

Dabby-D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 05:52:08 PM »
Found a helpful link that breaks the CDI wiring systems down.

http://www.jr-richscooterdoc.com/Help_electrical_explained.pdf

I may have to do some more modifying and rewiring, but Im learning alot.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 07:33:46 PM »
It seems to me if you were to replace your overheating CDI with a new OEM Kymco CDI, your issue would be solved.  ???
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:55:12 PM »
if you haven't tried it, try a new sparkplug and report back, cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Dabby-D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 03:07:05 AM »
chaz35: Everything worked as is: New: Battery, Stator, Racing coil, Plug, regulator, exhaust wrap to keep low temps and protect the wires from melting.  It all worked and ran with the OEM CDI module for 30 mins.

-Other things New: Airsal Cylinder, Exhaust, carburator, air filter, and worked and ran.

To Mr. Paul: An OEM CDI can range from $120-175 and will limit the performance of my aftermarket cylinder to compromise the the CDI unit through over-revving. To find a performance one would be wise in my situation.

Additional notes: I had problems with this CDI after my toolbox+lid blew off my scooter in a storm, The CDI unit got severely rained on, it being Washington state where I'm from. I tried a Naraku NK390.04 DC CDI which was recommended. In fact my Regulator is Naraku, with my OEM as a spare. DIDNT WORK. I just ordered one from ebay which had the correct information with a picture diagram of the correct wiring. Im praying.... I thought about the fact that the engine is built off the AF18 and looked through CDI's for the ZX50 and DIO's which resulted in what they termed "Kymco Redifined" whatever that means. Most the information i seen on them i think was AC cause they had a 5th wire to my 4. On amazon I noted the seller for a DIO unrestricted "DC" CDI as compatible with the Super 9 (not specific which model even though there is only DC on the LC models like mine). I noted as well that one person said they would go with a MSD 4217 single cylinder programmable ignition but didnt see the aftermath results. That unit costs $375!! Anyways heres some pics and info:

Oldmanmoto

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
Did you get this issue resolved, and was it in fact the CDC? My problem is pretty much the same but scooter will start after cooling off ? For about 10 minutes. Will stall out after few miles then repeat, weird to me

Dabby-D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:58:01 AM »
The CDI issue was resolved. (http://www.ebay.com/usr/partsgalore-ca?_trksid=p2047675.l2559) Parts-Galore.ca has the correct CDI module for the wiring I described earlier in this thread and i confirmed that it is unrestricted as well.

Oldmanmoto: Your issue sounds like a carburetor issue really. There is a screw that usually has a spring on it that if turned will keep the carb open so you dont have to keep giving it more throttle to keep it alive, Its called the idle control screw. On the carburetor there's an automatic electric choke, after 5-10 mins the choke will warm up and thats when you want to adjust and tune the screw. Check to make sure its a NO SPARK issue by grounding the sparkplug before continuing to CDI. Let me know how it goes

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()