Author Topic: Charging battery  (Read 3810 times)

GBBBiker

• View Profile
Charging battery
« on: June 20, 2017, 06:59:28 PM »
I have a 2011 Downtown. Is there a way to hook up battery charger without removing seat and seat pan. There is a small hatch over the battery. Inside is some kind of connector. Opening is too small for my hand. Thanks in advance.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Charging battery
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
That small hatch is to gain access to the Kymco Analyzer Tool (cue the big deal music!) connector. Please don't plug anything else into that connector! Ya gotta remove the seat, tub AND the battery cover to access the battery. There are a couple of ways to change the wiring so it is not such a pain to hook up a charger. Why do you need a charger?

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:29 PM »
You definitely have to remove the seat and tub, to access the battery. I hooked up a battery tender and have the plug end near the left rear shock ( not so close so it gets pinched ) . Mostly used in the cold months, when rides are few and far between

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GBBBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »
My scoot has been setting for about 6 months without being started.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:05:01 AM »
You need to remove the seat, seat bucket and battery cover to access the battery. However with the right tools (10mm socket and wrench) it only takes a few minutes.

Here is a video to access the fuses, which show the process to get to the battery:
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:50:02 AM »
I have an Oxford motorcycle battery optimiser similar to this jobbie:

..it come with an extension wire that connects to the battery and it reached via the battery cover. I just lift it out, close the seat, plug it in to the Optimiser and leave it for a few hours at a time - particularly in cold weather.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:56 PM »
GBBBiker, the first thing I do with either a m/c or scooter I buy, is to make and install a "pigtail" for the battery as described by pipster. I use a two prong connector that has one prong shielded. Coming fro the hot or positive post on the battery, the shielded prong gets the plus wire. The negative post goes to the open prong. Why this way? You don't want a hot wire dangling exposed to touch any metal. There are all manner of chargers, maintianers out there, but I use the cheap "battery Float Charges" from Harbor Freight Tools. You can plug'em and forget'em. Will not over charge and when you do get ready to fire your engine, the battery will always be at full charge. (assuming you start with a good battery) The Float Chargers will not charge a dead battery, but will keep a good battery like new. I keep this set up on all my small engines, Lawn mowers, ATV, motorcycle, and my Kymco.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

GBBBiker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 04:50:40 PM »
Ole. I have a charger with the pigtail. I was looking for a easier way to attach it. Tomorrow the seat and pan will be pulled off. Thanks everyone for the help.

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 05:56:20 PM »
The place I bought my bike already installed a pig tail on my bike. All I needed was a battery tender.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2017, 04:32:26 AM »
Noco makes a great battery charger.
Check out their G750.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 06:31:25 PM »
Harbor Freight has battery tenders for $10, and if you can find them on sale they are $5. The leads are thin enough to close the seat on so I clipped it to my battery via the seat. I'll wire in some pigtails when get a round tuit. (Does anyone have a round tuit?)
2009 GV 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 07:11:04 PM »
I have a couple of harbor freight, battery tenders. The one for $5 is kinda cheap, if you leave it outside in the elements, it won’t last long. They have a different one, which is better quality and comes with clips and a plug for battery terminals. I would recommend, paying the xtra money and get that one. I think it cost me $15-$20 with the coupon

Rich

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Rich, I dint know that.
2009 GV 250

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
No problem, stuo. It must be a fairly new item. It is very comparable to the battery tender junior, but less than half the price.

Rich

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 05:42:12 AM »
stuo, I got some of the $20. ones and it not only tends the battery, but will charge it, if it's a good battery. Plus you get a pig tail already made up to put on your battery. Why would you want to clamp your seat down on your wires. Just put the pig tail on and drop it down under the plastic side panel and wire tie it to what ever is down there, then all you have to do is park and plug. All my small engine stuff has those type of HF battery tenders on them. They stay on there 24/7. except when in use) Just think, no more buying a new lawn mower battery every spring.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()