Author Topic: Trouble getting fuel....i think?  (Read 1695 times)

roomba

• View Profile
Trouble getting fuel....i think?
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:36:51 PM »
So i'm starting my scooter after sitting for a year and it looks like it's having issues getting fuel to the carbs.  I'm able to get it running with a spray of starting fluid through the air filter, but it dies after a couple of seconds.  I took out all the jets and made sure they were clean and checked the fuel filter and I'm able to blow through it.  Any ideas why it won't stay running after it's done running on the starter fluid spray?

oh yeah and i also made sure that i'm getting a spark and i syphon'd the old fuel out and replaced with fresh gas.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:39:08 PM by roomba »

DBScooter

• View Profile
Re: Trouble getting fuel....i think?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:42:06 AM »
I'm New here 1st post and had same Problem. I replaced spark plug,fuel line, filter, syphoned gas and took off petcock and cleaned it with gunk carb cleaner. then tried new gas and got nothing. Then I pulled & cleaned carburetor unassembled it, set screws /jets,float and weight cleaned throttle cable slide needle. I also carefully looked at the reeds and reinstalled with a little "gas tolerant gasket seal" very little you don't want to clog the reeds with gasket seal. I didn't have new gaskets for that but wanted to make sure I didn't lose Vacuum from there.
That was last night and again No start. Went to bed  woke up and I wasn't ready to admit defeat. So I retraced my steps two things 1# I replaced the vacuum line with larger diameter hose so I put old one back on. 2# I pulled off throttle slide and properly installed slide with indented side toward the front set screws and the slit side toward back of carb. I had installed it backward.I also adjusted throttle cable. It started right up and Hums! I was just about to give up Sheesh?   

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:55:14 AM »
Loosen the carburetor drain bolt. If there is no fuel coming out of the carb, you have a fuel delivery problem. If there is fuel coming out of the bowl, you have a carburation problem. If that is the case, take the jets out and mechanically clean them with a small wire and cleaner. Spray cleaner in all the carburetor ports and in the intake area. Ethanol is persistent stuff if it is allowed to sit in a carburetor too long. A very good carburetor cleaning is called for IMHO.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

roomba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I'll give those suggestions a try this week.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()