Author Topic: 2010 Super 150, 1000 miles, minor dump, problems now  (Read 1507 times)

Ed Salsbury

• View Profile
2010 Super 150, 1000 miles, minor dump, problems now
« on: July 29, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
Hi Folks,

Quick Question - I had a minor fall on my Kymco other day and fell over on the right side on gravel while going 10 mph.  Only minor visible scrapes, no other damage noticeable.  Now, no electric start, no lights come on at key activation, can kick start it up, once running, very dim headlights, lights brighten slightly at throttle up, no signals, barely audible horn, speedo back light is ok, brake light is ok, battery looks fine, fuses at battery look fine, kill switch works fine.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Ed

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: 2010 Super 150, 1000 miles, minor dump, problems now
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »
Ed,
Sounds strangely familiar to what I've been dealing with.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=14409.0
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:13:26 PM »
If scooter fell over on right side - and your scoot has developed these issues now - I'd be looking real hard at the right side switches - maybe the kill switch - but I'd be looking mainly at the right brake switch.

If it is screwed up even a little bit inside - it might be the problem.

Maybe you knocked something 'larger and electrical' goofy inside the main scooter body, or a frame ground......but me? I'd be looking at right side switches.
Several folks have had issues with these flimsy delicate brake switches - which  activate by a tiny spring that pushes out to complete an  important circuit when we pull the brake lever.

We're not squeezing a circuit to connection - we're just freeing that little spring to close the circuit. People squeeze hard to get it to work.....which has no effect on that little spring and the tiny contacts in the switch.

Too wordy.....
Please be sure about the right side switch (es)

Stig
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:17:43 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Ed Salsbury

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
Thank you Wayne and Stig for your responses. 

I will start looking at the right side switches as you suggest.  Wayne, did you ever pinpoint the cause of your problem?  I know you said when stripping off the plastic pices the power came on and you were then going to look at the rear light wiring??
Thanks
Ed

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »
Thank you Wayne and Stig for your responses. 

I will start looking at the right side switches as you suggest.  Wayne, did you ever pinpoint the cause of your problem?  I know you said when stripping off the plastic pices the power came on and you were then going to look at the rear light wiring??
Thanks
Ed
Hit the link, I made a post the other day. Never pinpointed the exact problem but I'm close.
Wayne

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
A coiuple of years ago I had an issue whereby the only way the scooter would come to life was to bounce on the seat. It turned out the cable to the starter motor came loose and was resting on the engine case. Only when I replaced the missing bolt that Stig sent me did it go back to working normal again.

I now regularly check electrical contacts with each service and routinely use dielectric grease.   

Ed Salsbury

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 09:10:56 PM »
My apologies to the forum for not following up sooner. 

Last fall after my postings I just lived with no electric start and kick started it until winterization. Now, after winter layup folks, I bought and replaced rt side brake stop switch as suggested.  What a job removing hardware and fairing covers to access it.  I also discovered I had one 15 amp fuse blown at battery now,  my guess is I stupidly hooked up battery to wrong terminals last fall before winterizing and blew fuse.  So I justnow replaced the fuse also.  Then, discovered my battery is now junk, so I swapped the good one from my Sym 125 buddy just to see if it would electric start.  Still nothing.

I put back in old dead battery and kick started it up.  Headlights, taillight, and stoplights work, no signals.  Horn is still severely muffled, barely audible. While running, if I hit brakes, either one, I can hear what I determined to be the flasher relay make a barely audible crackle type sound.  Would a bad flashing relay still keep this thing from electric starting???? Anything erlse possibly?? Scooter runs fine, just no freaking electric start, nothing after this rt side dump.

At this point, I'm thinking of just dropping it off at one of the few remaining Kymco dealers I can find in MA for their professional work.  Any help would be appreciated folks.
Thanks again folks

Ed ( >:(frustrated)
MA

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
I'm reluctant to respond, because I'm a non-expert on electrical stuff to say the least.

But... it sounds to me like the electrical components are getting little to no power from the battery. There's no headlight when the engine isn't running but the power is on, right? I'm assuming there should be. That should be a relatively simple circuit to follow and find out where the problem is. I expect a loose or corroded connection somewhere, or maybe a damaged wire.

It's my experience that flashers are quirky when they don't have battery power.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:55:20 AM »
First I'd start with a good battery for the other issues. Did you check the signals with the battery from the SYM? Did the fuse blow again?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Ed Salsbury

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
Thank you guys for your replies.  I'll be installing a new battery tomorrow, and starting there.  Then reinstalling flasher relay for a test, checking fuses and if needed still, will try jumping the starter next.  I don't think I'm far off.....  will update as progress continues.  I've also heard of a possible light control module, course the CDI also

Thanks again

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:15:29 AM »
All these can prevent the starter operation on most bikes, starter button, run/stop switch, side stand, handle bar brake switches, or the starter.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Ed Salsbury

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 02:29:46 PM »
Update-Success!
Folks after installing a new battery, one specific for this scooter, all is well in Mudville again with the scooter, electric start works.  Apparently, original diagnosis by Stig and others on the brake light stop switch problem was correct.  After installing that, I had tested it with a Sym battery that was good, as Kymco battery was not.  For whatever reason, Sym battery didn't cut it. I had also replaced a fuse at battery since I think I may have swapped terminals  and shorted it out.  A new battery specific for the Kymco did the trick, strange. Put everything back together and electric start is fine now. 

Additionally I did learn that Kymco confusingly marks their negative lead wire green and their positive lead wire red and black, crazy.  Also, I discovered an unused wire set at the battery box, split to both neg and pos about 18' long, that leads back out of the battery box and over to the right side of the frame where it is tie wrapped to the lower frame rail.  In the middle of the wire run is a black push/pull connector with one male and one female port (connected together), don't know what this could be.

Thank you all for your guidance!!
Ed

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Glad you got her fixed up and out riding again. Would probably need to see a photo of the connector.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile