Author Topic: NGK vs Denso Iridium plugs for the LIKE200i ?  (Read 1087 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
NGK vs Denso Iridium plugs for the LIKE200i ?
« on: April 15, 2017, 01:11:14 AM »
I found a difference in the way my scooter ran when using an NGK Iridium spark plug vs the Denso Iridium.

Double checked the proper plug with company reps via email and charts.....but I removed the Denso plug and reinstalled the NGK - and have not gone back since then (2 yrs?) It was a subtle difference - but enough for me to change it out for the NGK.

Versus the standard & stock NGK plug - Both of these Iridium plugs smoothed and strengthened my idle while sitting in big traffic at a stop light - a place you want to hear & feel a very healthy engine idle beneath you !!

I found a brand new Denso in my spares that I'd purchased yrs ago - reminded me that I'd chosen not to use it.

Have you guys tried/found a difference in how your scooter sounds/performs/feels between these 2 Iridiums?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: NGK vs Denso Iridium plugs for the LIKE200i ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 11:21:48 AM »
No, but am about to get another NGK iridium for the NOS DT. Shoulda salvaged the NGK from the wrecked bike.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 04:19:31 AM »
I just put a NGK-CR7EIX Iridium plug in my DT 300. It had a NGK-CR7E. I did notice that some times on a cold start the engine would die at idle, but now with the iridium plug, so far, that hasn't happened. So I would say it has made an improvement Stig.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 03:04:52 AM »
Id never use copper... in the carbed like idle was smooth got very easy yo adjust mixture. Started faster and nicer.
In the fuel inyected gets better... lasts forever. Dont need to gap them. Honestlly theres no down side in not having an iriduim instead of copper!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
I've been touting the benefits of the Iridium plug to Burgman owners for awhile.....and getting  grief  for it . These guys never change or check their plugs.
The all new 2017 Burgman 400 boasts in the adverts that it now comes with an Iridium plug installed! Yippee.  New 400's often  stalled at lights for the first hour or two of running. I put in an Iridium  NGK, no more issues after that first stall.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
Have never tried Iridium plugs in my Like. I have thought about using Cox glo plugs. Whata you guys think?

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 07:08:24 PM »
Have never tried Iridium plugs in my Like. I have thought about using Cox glo plugs. Whata you guys think?

Just don't leave the starting battery out in the rain. You will never be able to spin that prop fast enough.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 12:36:09 AM »

Wow, that takes me back!
Brother and I put maybe 30 mins on a few Cox planes (talking total flight hours here...)----before we pranged them.

I walk my pup daily near a large RC aircraft field.....seems to be mostly electric engines these days.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »
I still have a couple of COX 0.49 engines. Used to make my own planes and free fly them at large open fields.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 04:43:55 PM »

IIRC, the glow plugs use platinum for superior ignition of the alcohol that might have gotten mixed in with your nitro.
The iridium, besides being harder and resistant to erosion, might serve better igniting the alcohol element in our present day blend of fuel.

Spendthrift that I am, it is very difficult for me to fork out the cash for an expensive plug !  Tears, and all !
The probability of galling a sparkplug thread in a cylinder head is definitely worth that extra money !
NGK does Not advise use of an anti-seize compound on their plugs.
Yet I DO use a very small amount of the silvery compound, just in case.
2nd hand qualified experience tells me it's use is valid down to 14k ft in seawater...  Works for me !
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()