Author Topic: Like 200 Drive Belt replacement....questions  (Read 2965 times)

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Like 200 Drive Belt replacement....questions
« on: May 04, 2017, 05:34:59 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where is the best place to order and what brand/part # should I order for my Like 200 LX? I hate to go back to the dealer as he is almost an hour away. Is aftermarket better than OEM?

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:36:31 PM by ScooterLar »
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

ScooterLar

• View Profile
Re: Like 200 Drive Belt replacement....questions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 05:48:43 PM »
Never mind. I ordered a Malossi belt from scooterpartsco.com. Looks like a winner!
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
The original belt is a Bando belt. Kymco does not make it´s own belts.

Bando, Mitsuboshi I personally trust the most, but others might be most likely ok as well.
Malossi is quiet a big player in the aftermarket business for scooters. So, why not.
Or maybe a Gates belt? Buy american, hire american...  :) ;) I guess they are really good.

Just make sure you get the right size. Don´t nail me down, but I think it´s 797mm x 20,1mm x 30°
And try to not pick a very old (6-7-8 year) leftover belt accidentally from a cheap internet auction. It´s rubber that wears with time too.

Kymco parts number is 23100-LCD4-E0A
Mitsuboshi MI069
Bando ??

http://www.racingplanetusa.com/kymco-like-200i-ka40aa-transmission-c-2_23806-1.html?newcPathco=3
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:10:43 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
Re. the belt.
I am no expert on scooter belts but I know this .....
Been reading here for four years - have never read of any belt that made an improvement of any kind to a Kymco scooter over the stock Kymco belt.

It seems that Kymco got it dead right with the belt they put in their Kymco scooters and in their Kymco parts bag.
 Nothing lasts longer, goes faster or fits better than the stock Kymco belt.
Might find a cheaper one....but.
(I have read of disastrous results from exploding kevlar belts....but not that a kevlar belt improved a scooter's speed, or acceleration or belt life.)

Just sayin'
Stig

If dealer is asking too much $ for a stock Kymco belt ....I'd check authorized Kymco parts houses, on line.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 08:30:27 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:42 PM »
Re. the belt.
I am no expert on scooter belts but I know this .....
Been reading here for four years - have never read of any belt that made an improvement of any kind to a Kymco scooter over the stock Kymco belt.

It seems that Kymco got it dead right with the belt they put in their Kymco scooters and in their Kymco parts bag.
 Nothing lasts longer, goes faster or fits better than the stock Kymco belt.
Might find a cheaper one....but.
(I have read of disastrous results from exploding kevlar belts....but not that a kevlar belt improved a scooter's speed, or acceleration or belt life.)

Just sayin'
Stig

If dealer is asking too much $ for a stock Kymco belt ....I'd check authorized Kymco parts houses, on line.

AGREED!!!!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
Yes, Bando is oem and for sure the best one can get. Bando is the worlds leading manufacturer for cvt belts.
But the oem Bando belt is most likely a kevlar belt too....but luckily one that won´t explode (so soon) because it´s excellent japanese quality and therefore can stand some good nevada desert heat.  ;D 8)

https://www.amazon.com/Bando-Kevlar-Drive-Belt-781-20-30/dp/B00X41SCX4

So I would buy a Bando belt and try to get it cheap somewhere. Cheaper than dealers are asking for it. Because the belt from the Kymco dealer does have a sticker on its plastic bag which says Kymco, but inside this plastic bag is a Bando belt and its written on the top of the belt. I just now have such a belt running in my drivetrain of my Like. Works like a charme.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:01:00 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:45 PM »
When my dealer dropped the Kymco line of scoters they lost their ability to buy parts from them. When I went in for a belt change at 12,000 miles they replaced it with a Malossi belt. I did notice a slight difference in the way the scooter behaved at take-off and at WOT. The top speed is down by nearly 3 mph, but not a big deal to me as I don't hold WOT of for any amount of time. When it comes time to replace the belt again I will go back to Bando. The Malossi was really designed to work best with their performance component.

vespbretta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
If you know what and where to buy, you don´t need a Kymco dealer.  ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-KYMCO-BELT-for-KYMCO-PEOPLE-S-200-LIKE-200i-/181826689786

Kymco Like 200i and Kymco People S200i use the same belt.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 12:38:46 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

ScooterLar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »
Update: I purchased and received the Malossi belt from scooterpartsco.com in only two days. I would definitely order parts from them again.

After reading the below post and Stig's comments, I think I'm just gonna replace the belt with an OEM Kymco (Bando) belt. I can't afford to lose a few mph on my top speed as I frequently ride at WOT on the many 50 mph roads in my area.

Having said that, is Kymcopartsmonster.com a reputable site/business to order Kymco parts from? They offer the belt for around $48 plus shipping. If not, who would you recommend? I've never purchased Kymco parts at any other establishment other than my Kymco Dealer, which is about 25 miles away from my home. I'd just assume order online than driving an hour and a half round trip to the dealer.

Thanks for your helpful comments!

When my dealer dropped the Kymco line of scoters they lost their ability to buy parts from them. When I went in for a belt change at 12,000 miles they replaced it with a Malossi belt. I did notice a slight difference in the way the scooter behaved at take-off and at WOT. The top speed is down by nearly 3 mph, but not a big deal to me as I don't hold WOT of for any amount of time. When it comes time to replace the belt again I will go back to Bando. The Malossi was really designed to work best with their performance component.
2005 Grand Vista
2006 Vespa LX 150
2009 Grand Vista
2006 People 250
2013 Like 200
2013 Like 200 LX
2012 Genuine Buddy 170i
2009 Genuine Buddy 125

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »
Every Kymco part I've  ever purchased  came from partsmonster. Beleive them to be the closed thing the USA has to a manufacturer parts distributor.
Shipping is not cheap, so I bundle purchases.
No worries about parts being genuine Kymco.
Live phone assistance if you need it.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 03:52:05 PM »
IMO

It is best to purchase parts from a local dealer, IF you have access to one, especially IF they are reasonably priced.

Which would mean a few dollars more...  yet this would give you the face to face option of rejecting an inferior part, without the added effort of RMO and all that #*#*.

A nearby dealer might have an employee that lives very near you and they might be willing to deliver the part to you.
(This was the case for a significant auto parts account I once managed.)

Some belts seem to be a slight bit different in size.  The smaller of two will bring more top speed, the larger better acceleration, yet lower top end.

The racer's edge ?  It's most likely a drive belt should be warmed up Before making that Urban Assault, to avoid possibility of those exploding belts we hear about.  :-)
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()