Author Topic: CLEANING YOUR AIR-FILTER?  (Read 1087 times)

Nireen

• View Profile
CLEANING YOUR AIR-FILTER?
« on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:35 PM »
Please can you all share what and how you clean your filter?  Can some kind of liquid product be used.  I know I been blowing it out with a air compressor but I don't always want to be running to the garage to have them do this.  I would like to do it myself but I don't have a compressor.  Suggestions please :) THANKS!
Kat :)

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: CLEANING YOUR AIR-FILTER?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
How often are you cleaning it out Nireen?

Unless you're living in a desert dustbowl, then quick blast once a year (or replacement at whatever the specified interval is) should suffice.

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
No more than once or twice a year I blow it out.  Can we use a solution on it for filters?

How often are you cleaning it out Nireen?

Unless you're living in a desert dustbowl, then quick blast once a year (or replacement at whatever the specified interval is) should suffice.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
Please can you all share what and how you clean your filter?  Can some kind of liquid product be used.  I know I been blowing it out with a air compressor but I don't always want to be running to the garage to have them do this.  I would like to do it myself but I don't have a compressor.  Suggestions please :) THANKS!

look up K & N filters they will tell you the best way to clean a filter,   but not a paper filter? the kind that can be cleaned,  I have a DNA filter, that is cleanable, good for life ,.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 10:31:22 PM »
I just blow mine out with a blower. I wouldn't recommend cleaning a paper filter with any solvents though. If it gets so dirty you cannot see sunlight through it, it is time to replace. Good luck Kat!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Nireen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 01:50:02 AM »
I think the stock one is paper hey?

look up K & N filters they will tell you the best way to clean a filter,   but not a paper filter? the kind that can be cleaned,  I have a DNA filter, that is cleanable, good for life ,.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 04:15:58 AM »
Most the factory stock filters are pleated paper element type.
They are very effective.

I would be surprised if you needed to remove yours and blow through from the backside with compressed air more than once or twice each year.

I don't care for the K & N's...  they are too pricey, require more maintenance, and I'm Not a racer.
Did I forget louder, smellier, and messy ?
Almost any mc/scooter mechanic can give you one of the K & N stickers if you ask.
Nearly as good as running one.
redk

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
Tap it, blow on it....or replace.
For entertainment. ..read how owners of the $8000 Burgman 400's wash their paper air filters.....or switch out filter material using $2 furnace filters!
IMHO  crazy behavior....
My thinking is that a clean, properly restrictive stock airfilter is mated to the operating engine by the motor designers, yes?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
My thinking is that a clean, properly restrictive stock airfilter is mated to the operating engine by the motor designers, yes?

When I were a lad, changing to a non OEM 'performance' filter (on 2 stoke engines) normally meant changing the carb jetting and farting around with needle notches in the vain hope you might get something vaguely rideable.

Happy days.

These days I think, Modern fuel injection systems take care of that for you. Not that I would ever dream of using anything but stock parts on any kind of vehicle these days. It's just not worth the hassle.

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
In the distant past, I had placed a crudely fabricated disposable pre-filter within an airbox to save the stock filter a little congestion when under grueling operating conditions.  ( offroad desert sand/dust )
It helped.
redk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()