Author Topic: 2007 grand vista/dink... eletric starter not starting  (Read 1842 times)

Smccarroll323

• View Profile
2007 grand vista/dink... eletric starter not starting
« on: February 20, 2017, 06:56:19 AM »
I'm new to this forum and to this scooter... I just recently purchase this scooter... I didn't do much research on the product but I saw it was in almost perfect condition.... the problem I'm having is that, when I turn the scooter on... everything turns on lights and dashboard... but when I press the rear break and press the ignition it doesn't even crank... odk of I'm missing something but I opened the bike up and didn't see any disconnects... I read a coupe of forums talking about maybe the lol switch is broken or messed up, but my break lights turn on when pressed... is this something I could fix myself or do I really need to take this to a mechanic... I've fixed another scooter from a couple of problems. But you've helped a lot on cleaning carbs and everything... if this is something to add on ... the scooter wasn't used for a good year or so, but even if the carb is dirty or so there should be storage a crank or two before it not turning over... I don't know I'm completely stuck

Smccarroll323

• View Profile
Re: 2007 grand vista/dink... eletric starter not starting
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:58:52 AM »
And to add alil more .. I also brought a brand new. Street thinking that was a problem

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 09:05:36 PM »
And to add alil more .. I also brought a brand new. Street thinking that was a problem
Someone else can chime in. Mine is with my daughter and I forget. There is a specific start procedure. Safety interlocks prevent starting if not followed. Brake is one, iirc there is another. Read the manual. I'll try and ask my daughter or look it up for you.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 09:07:04 PM »
Kickstand up?????

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 10:13:41 PM »
Kickstand up?????

Thats what I was thinking!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Brik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 11:11:58 PM »

Thats what I was thinking!
My motorcycle has a kill switch too, I forget, does the GV?

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 02:25:02 AM »
In general it could be a number of things but here are some general tips that may help you.

1) Kickstand - some scooters have a switch that prevents the scooter from starting if the kickstand is down
2) Battery - sometimes a bad battery connection will temporarily power on the lights and the dash, but when you go to start the engine, the draw is too much and it seems like everything just dies.  You may just hear a "click" and nothing else.
3) It could be a connection issue with either of your brake switches that would normally allow the start procedure.  One way to check this, though I can't fully recommend it, is to bypass the ignition switch (assuming it's not the battery), and cross the terminals on the starter solenoid to see if it turns over/cranks or even starts up. 

I'm sure many other on the forum can chime in as well, but often, the most elegant solution is the simplest.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 03:30:15 AM »
You said gauges light up & you see the rear brake light so it should crank over (even if the kick stand is down it will crank but not start).  Check battery voltage.  It could be the starter switch is corroded in which case you could short the wires and see if it turns over.  I suspect the starter switch.  Check fuses too!  The are located to the right of the battery - you need to remove the battery cover.  As previous owner if they know of any issues.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()