Author Topic: Need Roller recommendations  (Read 682 times)

cb325

• View Profile
Need Roller recommendations
« on: March 09, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
So a while back when a belt broke I decided to order some new Dr. Pulley sliders since the old ones I had were getting worn and thought that might have been why I was having belt issues. I ordered the same size/weight that was already on the Scooter when I bought it as it seemed to work just fine.

Fast forward a bit, it turned out my whole variator was worn out so I had to order a new one. Unfortunately I have a 2011 Kymco and they don't make the LEA7 Variator anymore as the next year they had a new model of Variator LGE5? So thinking I was getting the same variator I get it in the mail and try to get everything together, however since the Variator was different my face ramp for the variator that was on the old version didn't fit. So a few more weeks go by and I get the new face ramp for the variator.

Finally get everything together and the scooter sounds better than ever and I was so excited to finally have my scooter running again. However, now it takes off like a bullet bike. WOT has the RPM's pushing 8000. With how high the RPM's around town are I have yet to see how it does highway speeds of 75mph +. I am sure it is because I am using the Sliders (14g I believe) that I ordered based off the old variator but now need to get a different weight with the new variator. Even with a passenger (I weight about 280 and a passenger at 160) it takes off super quick. I would like some ideas on what weight I should replace the sliders with. I like WOT to be 6500 or so, not pushing 8000. For the updated variator should I still use Sliders or are normal rollers going to work just fine? Thanks for any and all help.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Need Roller recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
you will need the heaviest sliders you can find,.  try 16 gram , should drop your RPM.  read yager 200   and see what he has done,  de dee     2011 downtown   85,000 km.

cb325

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 05:44:10 PM »
So I took it on the highway today and didn't mind the RPM's at highway speed. About 7500rpm at 80mph indicated. Not sure if heavier weights would allow the rpms to be a little lower at that speed or not. I think previously it was a little over 7000 at about 75?mph when I first got the scooter.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »

you have it about right,.  now when you get a new belt ,  check width of belt,  old and the new one,  best is 25.2 MM.  lenth around belt is 1004 MM.,  most belts I have bought are 24.5 MM.  Min. size 24 MM. so there is not to much to wear out,.  I have worn my belts to 23 MM. but the RPM . go,s up,.   as it wears,. 

cb325

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »
I am thinking I might at least move up to 15g sliders. Right now I get about 5000rpm cruising at 20mph and that seems pretty high. I want to keep some of the acceleration but I want to also lower the RPMs as I do a lot of slower driving through neighborhoods, etc. Would the move to 15g accomplish this goal? Or would going to 16g be fine without losing the good acceleration I have? I am just not sure if always riding with high RPM's is the best thing to do for the engine.

Also, are there any recommendations of grease or anything for he sliders to help them be smoother? I checked my variation today to see how things looked and the sliders and variator already have some wear on them which concerns me since everything was brand new.

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »

Never put grease in there,.   some have taken graphite and rubbed it on the sliders ,  and rubbed in the slider path,.   do not have any loose graphite as it will go to the belt, and slip,  ca ca!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()