Author Topic: wont start HELP!  (Read 1628 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
wont start HELP!
« on: March 21, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
People GTI300 - 2012
when I turn the key the lights come on and everything, but when I try to start it- it sputters-make a lot of noise likes its trying to start-but it does not turn over

I noticed in the last week or so that when I go to start it - it sputters 2 or 3 times then starts-whereas normally it just makes one little chuga chuga then starts.

Any ideas?

mileage: 13,000

regular oil and trans fluid changes

I was thinking maybe the battery needs to be replaced?
maybe the spark plug needs to be replaced?

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: wont start HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
Remove the battery and have it tested.  As you do this, check tightness of cables to the battery and cleanliness of connections.  How old is the battery, by the way?

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 08:38:20 PM »
One thing I've learned about the fuel injected engines zevsdad, is don't ever move the throttle from idle before trying to start.. I never even put my hand on the throttle grip before pushing the start button. They flood real easy. Yours sound more like battery problems, but the other information is good to know anyway. If you ever flood it, then open the throttle all the way and press the starter button for 2 or 3 seconds and complete close the throttle and push the start button. This clears any gas build-up in the cyclinder.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 08:54:50 PM »
Battery.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:17 AM »
Thanks guys- I was hoping it was the battery- easy fix.
Battery is original oem- so 5 yrs old. What's a good replacement? I saw a YouTube vid that recommends this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 05:15:50 AM »
Almost an oil type topic there.
Some folks swear by lithium.  Others, myself among them, don't feel they're worth the expense.
There are sites that about some of the advantages and drawbacks of the LI-Ions vs. SLC (Sealed Lead Acid), & AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat)
The LI-Ions are quite a bit lighter than either of the latter, but also a bit spendy.
They have noted issues in colder environments; although in another forum an Alaskan noted no issues with it for daily use.  From what I've read they freeze kinda funny so I don't really trust 'em myself in that regard; though I was reading one item where if you let 'em sit of a couple secs with just the lights on then crank they work OK in cooler weather.  Warms 'em up a bit...personally I dunno.
The SLC (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries are cheap.  That's about it for them.
The AGM is usually the factory type of battery with YUASA being the primary supplier, but there being a lot of knock-offs that are cheaper.
AGMs are lighter than SLAs, & do better in pretty much every category than SLAs.  They are what I use.
I buy 'em from YUASA off Amazon in the version that has you putting the acid in them and charging 'em.  This results in a fresh battery if ya follow the instructions.  You do need a charger for this.  I use an old 2amp one for this I've had 'round forever or so.  Seemed to work OK for the battery in one of my HDs, & my Burgman. 
Do read the instructions first though.  Handling acid is not hard but the cost of failure is high. 
Charging is pretty easy, but if it overcharges a bit you could end up with acid coming out the top. (I have not, but it's possible)

Hope that's helpful.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:38:32 PM »
can you anyone please provide a link to everything I need to order---I'm having some problems finding it....

This iwhat I found on amazon---but does NOT come with charger...:

ACDelco ATX12ABS Specialty AGM Powersports JIS 12A-BS Battery

I just want simple and easy-maybe 100 bucks or so.

not sure if I have to buy a charger too---or maybe they will be able to charge at local auto parts store.....?

anyway- please provide amazon link to what I will need

KYMCO PEOPLE GTI300  2012

Thanks in advance

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 03:40:32 PM by zevsdad »

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:41 PM »
From the YUASA application chart
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM32ABS-YT12A-BS-Battery/dp/B000N5R6WM/ is the correct battery
Battery Type: YT12A-BS   
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 9.5
Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 4.1875"
Weight: 6.3 lbs.

Tough to say for sure but I also see reference to
https://www.amazon.com/Yuasa-YUAM3RH2S-YTX12-BS-Battery/dp/B000WK4CS4
Battery Type: YTX12-BS   
Voltage: 12
Capacity: 10
Dimensions: 6" x 3.4375" x 5.125"
Weight: 7.5 lbs.

The YTX is a bit bigger and has a bit more charge, so tough to say from my perspective since I don't have a GT300I to check the battery on.
My two bits would be to pull the battery, & give it the once over.  Measure it, & see what the label says, if it's not YUASA most outfits use similar coding aka 12BS or something since YUASA is the standard, so it should be pretty easy to figure out.

Of note: YUASA does have "Factory activated" versions, or if you're buying locally they can give it the initial charge of course.
If you're in Pugetopolis PM me I can help out too.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 01:05:43 AM »
Thanks- I called my local auto parts store and they said they will be able to sell me a replacement and charge it for free.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()