Author Topic: New owner.. dumb questions  (Read 1059 times)

scorion57

• View Profile
New owner.. dumb questions
« on: March 16, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
HI ALL,

I am a 64 year old retired Navy veteran and just purchased my first scooter after my move to a sunshine state.

I think i recently got lucky when i found a 2014 Kymco GT300i used with only 875miles. Purchase price $3499.00.

Question 1: Every piece of literature i can find sez the scooter as a Tachometer. No Tach right?

Question 2: After reading many articles I am confused about the battery charging while being driven, does the battery charge or do i need to purchase a trickle charger?

Thanks, looking forward to gaining much useful information from this forum.

eamartin

• View Profile
Re: New owner.. dumb questions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I cannot help with the tachometer question.  The battery is charging when the bike is running and ,generally speaking, charging at a greater rate at higher rpms than at idle.  If the bike's charging system is working properly you will not need to put it on a charger unless you allow it to sit unridden for many days at a time.  Research trickle chargers versus smart chargers. 

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 03:53:36 PM »
No tach and really not needed on cvt scooter

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
Hi scorion57. eamartian told you right on the battery charging, however, if I may, I'd add this. I keep a battery "float charger" on my DT 300i, (same bike as yours with different plastic) 24/7. They can not overcharge. When you push the start button, no matter how long it's sit up, your battery will spin your engine like it's brand new. I get my float chargers from Harbor Freights Tools for $4.99 with a coupon. Also you can run a wire from each battery post  down under the plastic and put a two-wire connector on them to create a pigtail so you don't have to dig down to the battery each time you want to connect the float charger. I keep one on  my 4 wheeler and zero turn 24/7 also. Welcome to scootering and ride safe.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

scorion57

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 04:50:11 PM »
Thanks!!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 08:12:01 PM »
No dumb questions, scororion, just the unasked ones. Chief taught us that in the Navy! We have a GTi300 People for the missus. No tach. Great machine! Wife' sits for months waiting for warmer weather and starts each time. Had it for about two seasons now. Rig a setup like ole two wheels suggested 'cause ya can't go wrong with a maintainer. Others here have posted their approach to wiring in connectors. You can charge through the cigar lighter socket ONLY IF YOU REWIRE IT to the battery with fatter wire and its own fuse. Would be easier like mac said. Happy scootering!

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
first, you bought a great motor scooter at a good price
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
No they do not come with a tac.
I always rig my scoots for a tender hook up. When parked it is hooked to the tender so when I get ready to ride, the battery has a full charge.
If your charging system on your scoot is working properly, it will charge your battery as you ride. When parked, your battery will deplete over time.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()