Author Topic: No regrets (sort of)  (Read 1974 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
No regrets (sort of)
« on: January 04, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »
After my accident which resulted in a below knee amputation of my left leg, many well meaning friends have remarked "I bet you with you'd never gotten that scooter." To which I usually respond "No, I can't really say that." Truth is, those six months of riding were some of the most enjoyable times of my life. While riding I discovered so many things, traveled so many back roads, and experienced things that I would never have experienced in my car. In fact, now I sometimes still take the "long way" home from various places even though I'm in my car.

So when they ask me about regrets, I simply say that I regret having the accident. I regret NOT paying attention to where I was going on that night. I regret losing my leg. But I do NOT regret the experience of owning and riding a scooter. Truth is, life is FULL of unexpected twists and turns. But we persevere. We learn. And we keep moving.

THAT'S LIFE!!
Will I ever ride again? If it was only me to consider, the answer would be a definite YES! But life isn't just about me. My family who stood by (and continue to stand by) my side just isn't there yet. My 85 year old mother says she'll accept my choice. But I see the look in her eyes which says "please don't." My out of town siblings could accept it. But my sisters and brother who walked me through the process daily have JUST gotten to the place where they can joke about my recent condition. At this point, I wouldn't be able to enjoy riding for fear of THEIR fear. So, I'll wait. If it's meant to be, it will be.

But I like the fact that they will NOT nor will they allow others to speak words of negativity. Anyway, if I had not gotten that scooter, I would never have met you guys.

Well, that's my philosophical musing for today. Be blessed everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

PaulF

• View Profile
Re: No regrets (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
I really wish I had your attitude, it's really great.  All the best for this year.

Paul

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:17 AM »
Hey Forbes, It's great to hear from you again. I hope all is going well, with your prosthetic and your daily life.Hope you had a good holiday and hope you have a great New Year!! I was beginning to miss your inspirational words of wisdom. Glad to see your still posting. Keep in touch.

Rich

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:14:28 PM »
Forbes, I've said it before but you are an inspiration to us all. Your positive attitude in the face of adversity is something that would help all of us. A positive attitude is so beneficial in all aspects of life (health, friends, family)...

I try to be positive in life but sometimes it's easy to complain and get a little down...but you have shown us that it is very possible to keep a great attitude and thrive because of it. Continue to heal...and please continue posting on this site!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:42:15 PM »
Someone once said, "it's not how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up.". You have been knocked down hard this time, but it is completely clear, from your story, that you have gotten back up and with your attitude and grasp on the realities of life, I believe you can do anything you set your mind too.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 04:28:37 AM »
You have an amazing attitude. I don't think I could handle what you've been dealt with the same courage you have shown. You are an inspiration and I admire your courage and strength in handling the situation.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 05:11:43 AM »
Forbes, you sure have a beautiful spirit and wonderful attitude. Truly an inspiration to all of us! God bless!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 01:22:17 PM »
Forbes you are the coolest dude and inspire me with your response to your experience. I've got a friend that crashed his airplane last year and some thought he'd never fly again. Actually, Bob found another plane shortly afterwards he wanted to purchase but like yourself had to be sensitive to his family who feared him flying again. A year later he bought another plane and appears to have his family's blessings. Perhaps, with time the notion of you riding again will be a little easier for your family to accept. It gives you time to think about your next bike and build this reality back into your life if this is what you want to do.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »
Forbes, you DO have an amazing, good attitude that serves as a positive example for the rest of us. However, it must be YOUR decision totally whether to ride again or not. A person can result in huge resentment if he performs as others see fit. I quit flying for a number of reasons related more the the a&&holes who own airplanes than any other. To quit completely did not start out my idea but became my own as time went on. Truthfully, I concluded that my "number was up" or close to it. I had worked to fly since I was a grade-schooler and did not want to let go. Did not have enough money to afford my own flying machine so that was it. Used to say that flying was everything and anything else was just waitin' around but there are other things in life. One day I will  be too decrepit to ride and will have to " hang up my goggles" again. But that will be just another time to do something else.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
Forbes you HAVE to write a book about your experience. It’s obvious your narrative is inspirational to everyone here on this forum and to  the others you’ve been to (Maxi-scoots for example). If not, if you’re ever up north in the Philly or NYC area, I’d love to have the chance to interview you and share your story.  I produce a 1/2 hour public access TV show in Philadelphia that showcases short live-action and animated films. I just produced my final episode for my 2nd Season and will begin working on the 1st episode for Season 3. I’m considering doing an episode on Scooter and MC riders.

Just a thought, but consider a book of your experience.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 07:16:23 AM »
Forbes, you DO have an amazing, good attitude that serves as a positive example for the rest of us. However, it must be YOUR decision totally whether to ride again or not. A person can result in huge resentment if he performs as others see fit. I quit flying for a number of reasons related more the the a&&holes who own airplanes than any other. To quit completely did not start out my idea but became my own as time went on. Truthfully, I concluded that my "number was up" or close to it. I had worked to fly since I was a grade-schooler and did not want to let go. Did not have enough money to afford my own flying machine so that was it. Used to say that flying was everything and anything else was just waitin' around but there are other things in life. One day I will  be too decrepit to ride and will have to " hang up my goggles" again. But that will be just another time to do something else.

Karl
True, it will be and is my decision. And they would grudgingly accept it.  However, at this time, my concern for them overrides any resentment that I'd feel.  For the time being, I'll occupy my time with other pursuits. As a 52 year old, there are MANY potential interests that I haven't pursued yet. I think I have time to try some of them first to give them time to get their bearings straight. I might even be able to get them to help finance some of them. Lol.

2009 Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 03:09:44 AM »
Sorry to here about your leg. I am also going threw a hard time with a life change.I just had back surgery. And because the way I feel just rideing in a car or truck has me worried. A moped or scooter is my only way of getting around. I am 4 weeks in recovery and doing ok. sleeping and getting up is hard . On my feet I am ok. Being able to balance a scoot Im not so sure of. for me time will tell. I am thinking about getting a trike so I have something just so I can go for rides and get out when I can. My family tells me also to be carefull out there. I got the reast of the winter to get better so I will see how things go this summer. God bless you Forbes take care of self.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:58 AM »
Sorry to here about your leg. I am also going threw a hard time with a life change.I just had back surgery. And because the way I feel just rideing in a car or truck has me worried. A moped or scooter is my only way of getting around. I am 4 weeks in recovery and doing ok. sleeping and getting up is hard . On my feet I am ok. Being able to balance a scoot Im not so sure of. for me time will tell. I am thinking about getting a trike so I have something just so I can go for rides and get out when I can. My family tells me also to be carefull out there. I got the reast of the winter to get better so I will see how things go this summer. God bless you Forbes take care of self.
Thanks Blue. Be encouraged man. 4 weeks is not very long. With me, being able to sleep through the night was the last thing to happen. Even three months out because of the nerve pain I was only able to go to sleep after becoming nearly exhausted. And if I awakened during the night, it would be very difficult to get back to sleep because of the  discomfort. And I could only sleep in certain positions. None of which were my normal sleeping positions.

However, one night, evidently I fell asleep with my iPad still in my hand. I was not even fully dressed for bed. My mother peeped in and saw me "SPRAWLED OUT LIKE A GATOR" . She simply cut the light off and let me stay where I was undisturbed . When I awoke the next morning, my iPad was somewhere underneath me. And my glasses were under me as well. They were bent up , and I had to straighten them out.
Shortly after, I'm not sure exactly when, the pain level was low enough so as to let me sleep through the night on a regular basis.

That day is coming for YOU as well. (If you wear glasses, Just make sure to remove them BEFORE resting your head on your pillow. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Hang it there. I'm sure it will get better before you know it.

2009 Xciting 250

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 02:33:57 AM »
Thanks Blue. Be encouraged man. 4 weeks is not very long. With me, being able to sleep through the night was the last thing to happen. Even three months out because of the nerve pain I was only able to go to sleep after becoming nearly exhausted. And if I awakened during the night, it would be very difficult to get back to sleep because of the  discomfort. And I could only sleep in certain positions. None of which were my normal sleeping positions.

However, one night, evidently I fell asleep with my iPad still in my hand. I was not even fully dressed for bed. My mother peeped in and saw me "SPRAWLED OUT LIKE A GATOR" . She simply cut the light off and let me stay where I was undisturbed . When I awoke the next morning, my iPad was somewhere underneath me. And my glasses were under me as well. They were bent up , and I had to straighten them out.
Shortly after, I'm not sure exactly when, the pain level was low enough so as to let me sleep through the night on a regular basis.

That day is coming for YOU as well. (If you wear glasses, Just make sure to remove them BEFORE resting your head on your pillow. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

Hang it there. I'm sure it will get better before you know it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk     Thanks Forbes. Stay strong and best wishes........O and p.s. I do wear Glasses. :o But there just reading Glasses and come off at night...thanks for the tip.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()