Author Topic: what rpm is safe for a lc engine  (Read 1325 times)

k50

• View Profile
what rpm is safe for a lc engine
« on: May 26, 2016, 02:05:40 AM »
my new super 9 lc is derestricted and has a technigas pipe.  i dont think the carb was touched.

on the flats i can get her going 50 but the rpm's are at 10k, is it ok to run the engine this fast?  if so, for how long?

i understand that with the liquid cooling it protects the engine more than air cooled, but 10k seems pretty fast.  and down hill, it may even go 11k, i never pushed it to that limit.

thoughts?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
Re: what rpm is safe for a lc engine
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 04:43:53 PM »
I suggest you look at the plug, do plug chop, see if running lean.  I think OK to run hard if not too lean.  I turn approx 10,000revs fairly often, but not for long.  I don't worry about it much, but will wear out engine faster.  These engines are fairly easy and cheap to rebuild IMO.  When cruising, I like to keep it around 9,000revs or below, with my CVT setup is approx 45mph, a good speed for where I ride.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »
I ran mine at 10k+ rpms for about 2 years and 20-40 miles a day. Finally blew head gasket

beermak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
Id worry more if its lean at high rpm or if it has not enough oil...
then enjoy it and dont worry on rpms

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()