Author Topic: Air cleaner  (Read 1287 times)

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Air cleaner
« on: September 13, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »
I find it odd that I can go thousands of miles and not have a dirty air filter. It's the oddest thing. Not a speck of dust. Does anyone here experience a dirty air filter on their Like?

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Air cleaner
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
No. Me neither. Everything is fine. No dirty roads, no dirty air, no dirty airfilter. Simple physics.
The airfilter snorkel of the like is placed where almost no dirty air can be sucked in. :-)
I have a spare filter already here, but probably will never need it for this scooters lifetime....
If you ride in sandstorms or dunes, dirty, dusty roads or something alike your airfilter will have to do it´s job more seriously and will look different of course.
It always depends on the riding conditions.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 02:55:08 PM »
Yeah Trout,
I know what you mean.
I do not think it has much to do with road conditions - more to do with snorkel placement or something ??
I ride my Burgman on the same roads and it comes up filthy after just a couple thousand miles - really filthy!
I know a 400cc engine sucks more air than a 163cc engine - still - hard to figure.
I did take a vacuum hose and suck on the foam cover yesterday - but the paper filter looked new, as always.
Looking at that filter makes me think the engine is asthmatic.....maybe it is, since the 170cc SYM can do 75mph!
Can't all be the result of the snorkel placement.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:49 PM »
Eventhough I find the filter to be clean of debry I still replace it every 4,000 miles.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 04:22:26 AM »
I take air, oil and fuel filtration as critical to an internal combustion engine.  According to a study published by the Society of Automotive Engineers
(SAE), "... approximately 400 tons of solid material is suspended in every cubic mile of air over a city.  Even more solid matter is suspended over
agricultural areas during certain times of the year.  Of this solid matter, a significant portion is airborne dirt and dust.  The dirt and dust found
naturally within the environment is of greatest concern due to its abrasive nature."  I consider the lack of dirt on and in the Like air cleaner as an indicator of a serious problem.  It is no wonder that more and more frequent oil changes in an engine without an oil filter is the most prudent thing an owner can do.  Smart move.  And all we have to say is that 800 mL is less than a quart.  It's not expensive and an oil change doesn't take much time.

I'll keep you posted as I pursuit an effective air pre-filter.  I want that pre-filter to come out black as I take to the beautiful Tennessee back country roads this Fall and breathe the "clean" country air.  In the future, I will also give some feed-back on the Dimple Magnetic Oil Plug that was engineered and manufactured for my Like 200i.   Photos of the air pre-filter and oil plug are sure to follow but right now I want to put some miles on the bike!

I can't say how much I have learned from the forum.  Thanks to all.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:43:26 AM »
Well Hot Dog !@@@!
Finally a sound reason to support the 600-800 mile oil changes I've been doing on my LIKE200I!
Dirt not getting to the airfilter.....so might be showing up in the oil  ??

I've posted pix on Burgman forum of my filthy Burgman airfilter after just a few thousand miles.  People who've never checked their filter accused me of riding on unusually filthy roads....until others posted that their filter gets just as dirty as mine was.

I am puzzled by the appearance of the filters in both of these scooters.
But will keep up freq oil changes...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()