Author Topic: Malossi sports variator on its way  (Read 1461 times)

xsel777

• View Profile
Malossi sports variator on its way
« on: September 19, 2016, 07:28:42 PM »
I am going to have trouble sleeping for the next month while I wait for the malossi multivar 2000 to arrive.

I did not know if just the rear face plate, rollers, and Bush would work with my old back plate, so I got a set that included that.
My real problem is getting the new clutch spring on, as I don't have  a clutch compression tool.

Any hints on how I can do that?

I also hope I don't need the sports clutch, because I am tapped out, exchange rate to Euro is 15.7:1 Zar.
Luckily the insurance payout for an accident paid out, but now I won't respraying the panels, just touch up instead.

My hope us that the variator will give enough of a boost that I want, that I won't feel a need to go to the next level.

You see that 500 i originally tested flew to 160 kmh, and now that I know it is attainable, I Must have it too!

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Malossi sports variator on its way
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:29:34 AM »
There are a couple of yutube videos of compressing the clutch with your feet as you loosen the big nut.
Another video shows a fellow holding clutch with wrench on nut....tap wrench handle on ground to break nut loose. Then press both feet down on .clutch and remove nut.
You'll understand that not all of us get the need for more anything on a 500cc scooter. ...except better tires & ABS.
What color helmet are you wearing? They say your head is the most visible object on a bike....more so than jacket (or vest).
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:54:57 AM »
Thanks Stig.
I will check out you tube.
I did once see that wrench trick YouTube video.
My helmet is all Matt black.
I fitted white reflective stickers all over it, plus I used the yellow reflective wheelrim tape around the bottom contour, so I believe it is quite visible.

CiderBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 09:15:04 AM »
Hi,

I exchanged mine exactly the same about 18 months ago. You will not be disappointed.

I managed to compress the clutch in a large workshop vice, (just do it carefully).

The rest went in a dream.

All retightening was completed with an impact tightener (18v). I would mark the nut placement rather than rely on the torque setting, as this is very hard to achieve on the flywheel shaft.

Regards,

CiderBoy.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 07:27:08 PM »
Cider boy, thanks for the vice tip. I do have an industrial vice, that will do the job nicely.
I recently had trouble with torquing instead of using the impact wrench. I even torqued it higher by  10nm,but the variator was still toast.
I only started torquing because a lot of people went on about it on this forum, so I decided to go with the general advice, and got hurt.
I have been using an impact stench for 3 years now.
The only time I had an issue is  when I did not first hand tighten.
I used the wrench and the nut went on screw, and the crank thread was toast, so new crank was the result.
Since then I have Been careful with the wrench....
What can I say :live and learn.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »
Cider boy, the malossi multivar 2000 variator you fitted, what weight and diameter are the rollers.? Do you also have a 500?
I had a major issue with how the scooter behaved with the malossi rollers, revs too high and it hardly seemed to move.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()