Author Topic: Vote !!! & Lambretta  (Read 1441 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Vote !!! & Lambretta
« on: September 10, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
We're not going to talk politics here on this fine and welcoming scooter forum ....
But I encourage you all to vote this fall.
In one instance my single vote stopped an action on  a union vote a few years ago. 349 people voted .....and just as they were shutting the door I finally got free from my construction project and dripping sawdust and sacrete i popped in to vote. The outcome was decided by one vote.
True story and makes a great example to my kids.
We have a lot of great privileges in this country...one of the biggest is our right to vote.
Please don't stay home...you'll forfeit your right to gripe for the next 4 yrs....which is #2 in our important American rights @@!!@@
Stig
PS: As I was typing this at Tim's an older fellow was inspecting my LIKE200I in the parking lot.
He has a 1967 Lambretta. We chatted scooters for a good while.
He does all of his own servicing too.
I told him I'm here every sunrise and would love to see his scooter.
He said he might just do that.  I will post pics of our scooters together if he does!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 10:57:13 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote !!! & Lambretta
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »
+1 on voting Stig.  One of the rules in my house is - you don't vote, then you can't live here.   I taught my daughters that they needed to vote and they needed to educate themselves on what they were voting on.  I never told them how to vote and encouraged them to make up their own minds.  To me, voting is a sacred duty, and to not vote is disrespectful of the founders of this country, and all the men and women who have fought for our ability to have the freedom to vote.  Bemoan the choices all you want - at least you still have a choice.

Did he say if he had a lot of mirrors on the Lambretta?
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 01:43:29 PM »
Amen, if you don't vote, then I don't want to hear you gripe !! I just love when people complain, and then they say they don't vote because it doesn't matter. It does matter!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 02:29:37 PM »
Ditto on voting. With only on or two exceptions when I couldn't get off in time, I've voted in EVERY national, state, and local election since I turned 18. Every, primary, runoff, and even those one issue local initiatives that they put at odd dates, so no one will show up. If the turnout was 20% , one of those was me. Lol. While presidential elections make for more "theatre", those local elections have even more effect on our daily lives. Things such as school board, city, and county commissioners, local option taxes, judges, etc., affect us daily. That's why if the polls are open, I show up. My parents once were unable to vote, so once they were allowed to, they voted without fail. And they instilled it in us.

By the way, I usually vote BEFORE work now in order to ensure that I don't get caught up on a job that makes me run late.

Ok. That's my soap box for today. LOL
2009 Xciting 250

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »
Ditto on voting. With only on or two exceptions when I couldn't get off in time, I've voted in EVERY national, state, and local election since I turned 18. Every, primary, runoff, and even those one issue local initiatives that they put at odd dates, so no one will show up. If the turnout was 20% , one of those was me. Lol. While presidential elections make for more "theatre", those local elections have even more effect on our daily lives. Things such as school board, city, and county commissioners, local option taxes, judges, etc., affect us daily. That's why if the polls are open, I show up. My parents once were unable to vote, so once they were allowed to, they voted without fail. And they instilled it in us.

By the way, I usually vote BEFORE work now in order to ensure that I don't get caught up on a job that makes me run late.

Good point. The local elections and ballot initiatives will be what makes or breaks your community. It's guaranteed that the national election will be divisive on a grand scale. At home, some new guy could decide that it will be illegal to wash your car at home, with a running water hose. Oh wait.........
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 03:27:08 PM »
Great thoughts everyone. Completely agree. I've made it a point to vote whenever I had come of age. Like Forbes, I do so in the morning before going to work just to avoid rush hour lines on the way back home.

It's been said before that if you don't vote you lose the right to complain, but more, if you didn't vote, what are you complaining about anyway? You've expressed your disinterest. Anything else is just whining.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »

Good point. The local elections and ballot initiatives will be what makes or breaks your community. It's guaranteed that the national election will be divisive on a grand scale. At home, some new guy could decide that it will be illegal to wash your car at home, with a running water hose. Oh wait.........
Local government decides to close this or that school, to repair this or that street, to update a sewer system, build a park or library, etc. It's the local government that decides between the extremes of letting a developer cut every tree in sight and ruining the character of a neighborhood vs fining a homeowner for cutting a tree in his yard without approval. (Seen the first, been a victim of the second) .

Local government decisions made by people often elected by 25% of the electorate in a community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »
I agree with the no politics, but get out and vote theme of this thread.......but the choice is Hillary or Trump?

You have my sympathies.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 08:34:10 PM »
I agree with everyone here. Forbes brought up some good points. The local elections are very important as is congress and the senate. I hope everyone votes and the constitutionally ordained  checks and balances kicks in for all of our good.  Whatever your political persuasion, I believe everyone wants what is best for their family and country. And if you vote different than me, it is OK. You have a constitutional right to be wrong!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 08:37:38 PM by Mr. Paul »
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 03:57:53 PM »
I agree with everyone here. Forbes brought up some good points. The local elections are very important as is congress and the senate. I hope everyone votes and the constitutionally ordained  checks and balances kicks in for all of our good.  Whatever your political persuasion, I believe everyone wants what is best for their family and country. And if you vote different than me, it is OK. You have a constitutional right to be wrong!  ;)
I'm glad you mentioned the checks and balances because it operates on the hope that EVERY branch isn't going to be crazy at the same time. (They come close though [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]) . As for our local officials, oftentimes they listen SOMEWHAT better than the others because it's a good chance that they might bump into us from time to time and look in our eyes.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 04:05:58 PM »
I almost wish I lived in the small Town next to us. They have a population of just a few thousand. And they usually know their candidates too well. -- who their mama and daddy are. Whether they got drunk last week, even if they are friends with the guy who wants to open the strip club that they won't let them open in The county next door. -- by the way, the strip club was blocked because folks were able to ask them "what would your mom think if she knew you voted in favor of of this?" --- Sadly, That approach doesn't work in larger cities.

2009 Xciting 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()