Author Topic: Proper HID or LED headlamp  (Read 2277 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Proper HID or LED headlamp
« on: February 24, 2016, 12:44:21 AM »
Does anyone know of a proper way to install a HID or LED headlamp that wouldn't increase glare?

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Proper HID or LED headlamp
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:46:46 AM »
I see a number of 7"  round LED lamps for Harley. Perhaps I could drill a 7" hole into the existing lens and fit it in that way?

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:28:04 AM »
HID you need the proper reflector to get it right, LED would be interesting to see what others say, I will be watching.
Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:12 PM »
Yes, I'm trying to puzzle out how to fit in a different reflector.

I'd expect the situation with LEDs would be even worse if you just place them in the halogen reflector since there's multiple led's and they don't project light in all directions.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:24:17 AM »
I guess it sounds like you could put any kind of HID/LED reflector behind the stock lens if you can fit it?

Grumpy old man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
On my 08 People 250S  I had my scooter mechanic add a unit I bought here is the unit link.  [/url](http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W)  I had one 35 watt unit I used during day's and most roads at night then add a 55 watt unit for lonly highways and roads during night rides. Together they worked extremely well.  I wanted to add some sort of egg crating to the front of the lens to keep too much glare from oncoming drivers however I didn't get that far.  The kits were around 30 dollars and the mechanic charged another 50 to install both, I did add two lighted rocker switches to control the lamps and kept the original wiring and lampholder in the headlamp cover just in case and carried a spare bulb just in case but neither were ever needed. 

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
Still haven't done anything with this, but:

It seems that putting a new projector behind the existing lens, secured to the existing bulb hole, is the way it's done on any vehicle.

Here's one that just fits right into the hole, and doesn't require opening up the lens (edit: this actually might be too long for our reflectors):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Mini-Projector-Lens-Headlight-Kit-Bulb-Lamp-BI-XENON-HID-Hi-Lo-Car-Motorcycle-/182064135127?hash=item2a63de3bd7:g:axYAAOSwI3RW8jca&vxp=mtr

I've found reports that it's about as good as a typical car headlight.

I think this should be able to fit as well, which would be better but require taking apart the lens and possibly drilling a small hole [edit: replaced link with one more likely to fit]:
http://tinyurl.com/hycg72k
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 04:44:52 PM by hypophthalmus »

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
There's these LED projectors as well which might fit: http://tinyurl.com/h7yqgx8
It seems that the lumens rating is somewhere between 55watt halogens and 35watt HID.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »
I suppose I'm not totally sure if 3" would fit in there.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()