Author Topic: 500i le top speed  (Read 1012 times)

stiehlm

• View Profile
500i le top speed
« on: September 29, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
Now that my 500i LE has 100 miles on it been pushing it a little harder to see what it can do.Very disappointed to hear rev limiter kick in at 43 mph. Realize this machine is not built for speed,but has anyone figured how to get more speed out of these?

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 500i le top speed
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:46:56 PM »
    Have to keep in mind that once you increase speed then power will suffer. There is always a trade off there. These machines are designed to be work horses and hill climbers and to crawl thru deep snow and mud. So if your going for more speed then some of these other features will suffer. There are after market kits to allow the rev limiter to go higher but I don't see that being a smart idea as the engine will suffer and loose life quickly. Another option is to go for bigger tires that is a larger diameter. Here you can gain top speed but will suffer in low end grunt, which will cause excess wear on the belt.  There are also kits to change the ratio that the sheave clutches operate that can help top end and some kits are designed for more low end grunt, you can go either way.
Just keep in mind the trade off, power vs. speed and also the time, effort and money required to make the change.....will it really be worth it?  Realistically now....if you want speed then trade your machine in for one that was actually designed for speed, some of these performace machines will exceed 65 mph. Not real sure I would want to speed thru a trail at that speed and clip a tree!! I am not a fan of spending bucks for repairs and broken bones...shortens up my riding time to much!! I have the 450i version and my limiter goes off between 48-50mph depending on conditions. But then ....not interested in letting my engine crank at 7500 rpm for any period of time so these bursts of speed are short lived. I typically cruise around at 30-35mph on the road (allowed to ride roads in my area) and never really find myself more than 20-25 on trails at best. 

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 04:20:52 PM »
I have the 450i version and my limiter goes off between 48-50mph depending on conditions. But then ....not interested in letting my engine crank at 7500 rpm for any period of time so these bursts of speed are short lived. I typically cruise around at 30-35mph on the road (allowed to ride roads in my area) and never really find myself more than 20-25 on trails at best.

I hit the rev limiter on my 450i pretty consistently @ 46mph, but nowhere near full throttle, I can cruise 40-45mph @ 6800-7222rpm towing my 990lb "toe hoe" for miles on end with no problem

off road, more often I am pulling a 1000±lb sled load of firewood in low range, maybe 5mph

my 450i is a workhorse

RandyO
IBA#9560

ppd153

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 10:58:18 PM »
I had a 2012 500se and, if I remember correctly, the top speed was around 46. It looks like you're in the ballpark. My 700 will do around 56ish but it gets so damn squirrelly on dirt roads I seldom go that fast.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()