Author Topic: Kymco Like 200i questions  (Read 1201 times)

Salvadorsshadow

• View Profile
Kymco Like 200i questions
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:51:35 PM »
Well, after puttering around for a whole, finally comfortable taking the Like up to about 30mph.  I have a few questions as to some things I'm experiencing.

First, once I get over about 20 I start hearing a whine/whistling..  It sounds like it might be coming from the transmission area.  Would this be the fan?  Is the whistling normal?

Second, after about twenty minutes of riding the seat starts to grow fairly warm.  Not hot, but it definitely feels like I'm on top of an engine :). Hot hot is normal?  Should I be worried about what I put under the seat to transport?

Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco Like 200i questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:07:01 AM »
Well, after puttering around for a whole, finally comfortable taking the Like up to about 30mph.  I have a few questions as to some things I'm experiencing.

First, once I get over about 20 I start hearing a whine/whistling..  It sounds like it might be coming from the transmission area.  Would this be the fan?  Is the whistling normal?

Second, after about twenty minutes of riding the seat starts to grow fairly warm.  Not hot, but it definitely feels like I'm on top of an engine :). Hot hot is normal?  Should I be worried about what I put under the seat to transport?

Thanks!
First: I'm usually laughing too hard at 20mph to hear the engine.
Maybe put it on center stand and give a gentle bit of throttle and listen by the lower left rear? Noises there would be from the 'transmission'. Otherwise might not be anything - very hard to say not knowing how previous owner serviced the scoot. If you can - run it by a scooter owner or shop and ask him if it sounds 'different'.

Secondly: Yes it gets warm/near hot under the seat...an aircooled engine sits just below that plastic bucket.
It won't bake a cake - but it will melt the ice cream. Again, if you're feeling a LOT of heat you might want to get that looked at.
Take that under-seat bucket out - it's pretty cool to look at things under there!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Salvadorsshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 01:44:32 AM »
Well, know the previous owner probably didn't do a thing in terms of maintenance.  He bought it, put 200 miles on it, and stuck it in his garage for two years.  All I have done is change the oil.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Well, know the previous owner probably didn't do a thing in terms of maintenance.  He bought it, put 200 miles on it, and stuck it in his garage for two years.  All I have done is change the oil.
OK...my guess is that there is nothing wrong with your scooter.
Yes...change the engine and gear oil per the manual . Clean the oil screen. ..
Fo not overtighten ANYTHING as you go around checking sll the fasteners you can reach. Use the specified oils....
Check color of brake fluid...if dark have it replaced.
In a few    100 miles check the valve lash.
Sounds like you found a great ride!
2 year old fuel...well you're past that now....if it's running good then it's running good.
Don't be shy about asking questions....I asked plenty when starting out with my LIKE200I !!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »
To the OP, I have just bought a new Like 125 and noticed the same noise as you are describing.  Was going to get it checked out but if you are getting it as well then it is probably normal.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()