Author Topic: Wear your gear.  (Read 3166 times)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Wear your gear.
« on: July 23, 2016, 07:22:44 PM »
As you all know, I was involved in a terrible accident which ultimately resulted in my left leg being amputated. As bad as that was, it could have been MUCH WORSE. The ONLY semi significant damage was on my chin where the strap evidently dug in and caused a cut requiring only TWO stitches. And some minor cuts which required no stitches, on the lower thigh portion of the damaged leg. I can only imagine what my helmet hit that jarred it so badly that the straps cut into my chin. I am certain that it was something that my HEAD would have hit otherwise. Also, there was some VERY MINOR road rash on my stomach. In fact, I can't even feel it. I just saw the superficial scratches.
My co workers and even my boss would incessantly tease me for wearing a full faced helmet and a riding jacket for "just a scooter " . In fact, my boss had teased me only a day earlier.  When I spoke to him after the accident, he told me that he was SOOOOOO glad that I did NOT listen to him.
In Panama City, it appeared that at least 3/4 of the motorcycle riders had NO helmet and were wearing short sleeves or a tank top. But I resisted the temptation to "fit in" . As a result, I am alive and un damaged other than the leg. They make prosthetic legs. But they don't make prosthetic brains yet. Lol.

WEAR YOUR PROTECTIVE GEAR! I'm a believer. I don't know if I'll ever ride again or not. But IF I do, you can be certain that I'll be wearing my protective gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Wear your gear.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 07:25:55 PM »
PS. Thanks to those who made contributions and offered words of encouragement and said some prayers. I appreciate it to the fullest.

2009 Xciting 250

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 11:48:23 PM »
Your boss-man (the earthling) is pretty big to say he was glad you dint listen to him! Yeah, Stig, me and others probably look a little like we're dressed for the SWAT team when we ride but that's what the MSF instructors teach and practice regardless of which two-wheeler is ridden. I'd rather be razzed than "rashed" and you are proof! Like your spirit, by the way, making this post which may swing one of us riding in shorts and flops to the SWAT team look!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 12:40:02 AM »
Great words, Forbes, and I couldn't agree more! When I had my crash about a year ago (we just settled with the other guy's insurance company on Friday) I was wearing my full face helmet. To my regrets I opted not to put on my riding jacket. It was hot, and Micky D's was an exact mile away. When the car pulled in front of me I manged to turn out of the way, but went down. Later I learned I was ejected from my bike and hit the rear of the guy's car. My right front tooth snapped in half and went through my top lip. It's believed the impact with the car did it, and what my dentist calls an 'Oh sh**' moment -- jaw locked up so hard it snapped my tooth.

Because of my full face helmet NO damage happened to my head (skull) or brain. I got road rashes, broken ribs and fractured cartilage in my neck (may have been from helmet strap), but I was out of the hospital in 4 days.

I wear all my gear now if it's dark (my crash was just after sun down) or if I'm on any major roads, and always when I commute to work. Jersey has a mandatory helmet law. Pennsylvania, where I work, doesn't. I see too many scooter and MC riders in the city riding with non DOT helmets, or nothings at all, in their work attire, flipflops, or sandals, while riding anything from a 50 cc scooter to a 500 lb Harley. Have to shake my head.

It's funny how people think a scooter is something light and playful, making you immune to damage. Hitting the ground at 30 mph, or more, will do damage no matter what you're riding - bike, moped, scooter, or MC.

Forbes, hope you're feeling better with each day. Keep us updated on how everything's going.

- Wolf

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:24:43 AM »
Yes, I told my scoffers that if I was to hit the ground at 40-60 mph, my body would not know if I had fallen off of a scooter or a Harley. I'm still not certain what mangled my leg because it happened so fast. And I hated to lose it. In fact, it took me several days to make a final decision. But as I told my family, I'd rather ME (in consultation with my family and my God)have to decide on what to do about a leg than my FAMILY have to decide on what to do about DARRYL while I just laid there unable to have any input. Or worse yet, have my family planning a FUNERAL vs simply deciding what day to come visit me. I

I saw the pain in my mother, sisters,  Brother's, and friends eyes from just looking at me, it made me glad that they did not have to deal with worse. And my oldest brother seemed to literally wish that he could switch places. It pains me to think of how they would react if i was taken from them. Especially for something as simple as not wearing a helmet.

2009 Xciting 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:39 PM »

It's funny how people think a scooter is something light and playful, making you immune to damage. Hitting the ground at 30 mph, or more, will do damage no matter what you're riding - bike, moped, scooter, or MC.

I had this same discussion with a colleague who thought that riding gear was not needed for a scooter. So I asked him, "If we are going down the road at 35 mph, and you fall out of the car and hit the pavement, what happens? Or you are riding your bike at 35 and fall off, what happens? How about falling out of the back of a pickup at 35, what happens? The laws of physics don't change just because you hit the pavement coming off a scooter. Hitting the road at 35 mph is hitting the road at 35 - doesn't matter what you fall from, the results will be the same." He finally got my point, and admitted it would be pretty smart to wear all the gear. Then he asked about all the Harley riders he sees going down the freeway at 70 mph with only a bandana on their head. My only answer was "they're stupid".
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »
I had this same discussion with a colleague who thought that riding gear was not needed for a scooter. So I asked him, "If we are going down the road at 35 mph, and you fall out of the car and hit the pavement, what happens? Or you are riding your bike at 35 and fall off, what happens? How about falling out of the back of a pickup at 35, what happens? The laws of physics don't change just because you hit the pavement coming off a scooter. Hitting the road at 35 mph is hitting the road at 35 - doesn't matter what you fall from, the results will be the same." He finally got my point, and admitted it would be pretty smart to wear all the gear. Then he asked about all the Harley riders he sees going down the freeway at 70 mph with only a bandana on their head. My only answer was "they're stupid".
I was blessed to have ZERO head injuries thanks to the helmet. But I've always said that anyone who rides a scooter, or motorcycle without a helmet is ALREADY brain damaged.

2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:37:03 AM »
It's images like these shown over decades that have created the scooter image.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 01:36:01 AM »
While the salesman was writing up the paperwork for my new LIKE200I. ...I shopped for a helmet with a half dressed sales girl. After half an hour of not finding a helmet to fit me....in frustration she said, "after all, it's just a scooter! "
I bought my 4XXXXL HJC modular helmet on-line after that remark.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »
Good discussion guys as this should be an active thread on every Motorcycle/ Scooter Forum Whenever I read a discussion like this it reinforces the reality that we need to dress for the crash.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 03:56:00 PM »
...I shopped for a helmet with a half dressed sales girl. After half an hour of not finding a helmet to fit me....
Really? Only a half an hour with the half dressed sales girl? C'mon, admit it, you were stalling just to get to spend more time "looking" for a helmet!  ;)  8)  ;D
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
Good discussion guys as this should be an active thread on every Motorcycle/ Scooter Forum Whenever I read a discussion like this it reinforces the reality that we need to dress for the crash.

It would not be allowed on most PTW sites. The overriding rule is no one has the right to tell others what they can and cannot where when they ride. It's based on individual freedom of choice. Go to another PTW site and start the conversation and see how quickly it gets shut down.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
Looked at my helmet for the first time since the accident. There was blood on the pads near my chin where the chin straps dug in. But that was a sign of protection. I noticed abrasions on the upper left, the top, and the back. There were some type of small spiny seeds in the rear air vents. I thought I remembered tumbling but evidently my head dragged the ground/gravel/asphalt that was in the median. My naked HEAD would NEVER have endured that trauma. At best , I would have suffered severe scap abrasion and loss. At worse skull damage resulting in God knows what.  I think I will keep it as a souvenir. And if ANYONE ever balks at wearing a helmet, I'll show them mine.
2009 Xciting 250

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 07:31:38 PM »
My wife and I just came back from a trip to the Poconos via the New Jersey/Pennsylvania Delaware Water Gap. We took the car as we had a lot of stuff to take up, and would be returning late at night. It was great weather, and being a Sunday we passed and saw a lot of group rides. Many were congregating in the parking lots of Dunkin' Donuts, and local diners. Nearly 98% of them, and their passengers, wore sleepless shirts, shorts and in many cases sandals on the passengers feet -- wives or girlfriends. Jersey has a mandatory helmet law, so most of them also wore just brain buckets. All the bikers were Cruisers, with a few Naked and Sport Touring.

Had to shake my head a lot. Passing riders in group formations, riding 500 lb + bikes with no protective gear (sorry, I really don't count brain buckets) seems like a death-wish, especially when grouped with hauling trucks, cell phone riding vacationers, and a lot of U-Hauls (college semester starts this week at many schools, and students are moving in). I hope everyone made it back home, but that's tempting fate a little too much for me.

If any Powered Two Wheeler sites have a safety or road-craft threads, it seems apt to talk about what gear to wear. I've heard a lot of reasons for not wearing any, but not
any good ones.

- Wolf
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:36:11 PM by ScooterWolf »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
Forbes! Make a lamp outta that helmet!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()