Author Topic: Seat modification - which ones interchange?  (Read 1241 times)

FJTRoy

• View Profile
Seat modification - which ones interchange?
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:55:00 PM »
 Hello! .. I have 2015 Downtown 300i for a couple months now... Absolutely love this scoot! However, I am a large man & I wish to purchase a replacement seat for modification. Need more leg room. Are there any other year and/or model seats that will work? ...and does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks! Sincerely, Large man on lil scoot :)
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Seat modification - which ones interchange?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
I needed to rebuild the seat on my Like200i  (tall guy)...and found a used one on ebay. Put the nice looking stock seat under my bed for the next owner and rebuilt the used seat. Been enjoying that comfy seat for many years and miles😊
Good luck with your search!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 12:48:09 AM »
Thanks, T . ..there IS one on ebay for 150 shipped, its kinda rough ,might get it soon if nothing better comes up. after the mods I will probably have to end up using a generic seat cover anyway to cover up my hacks . Cheers
86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 01:07:54 AM »
If you're going to keep this scooter for a long time - might consider having a seatcover shop put on a nicely stretched cover of your choice of material. Motorcycle shops might know "a guy" who does this for customers.
Mine did, but he was currently in jail....So, I did it myself :)
and it looks like it.

Stig.

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 03:25:56 AM »
I had the same issue. I'm 6'2 and the only thing the bothered me about the bike is the seating position. I was going to do a full seat rebuild and get it covered professionally, but then I saw a post on here from a guy who simply cut out the round hump in the seats base that's there to accommodate the helmet when it stored. With that removed and nothing else done to the seat, it allows you to slide back an extra inch of so. It's much better. I've been riding with it like that for 5 months or so now. I may simply leave it that way.

phenetas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:57:30 AM »
I had the same issue. I'm 6'2 and the only thing the bothered me about the bike is the seating position. I was going to do a full seat rebuild and get it covered professionally, but then I saw a post on here from a guy who simply cut out the round hump in the seats base that's there to accommodate the helmet when it stored. With that removed and nothing else done to the seat, it allows you to slide back an extra inch of so. It's much better. I've been riding with it like that for 5 months or so now. I may simply leave it that way.

Hi,

I am ex-tre-me-ly interested to say the least in the mod you're describing. As a 196cm (6,4) guy, it feels weird sitting on this scooter.

Can you post the link to the post your are referring to? Do you have pictures of what you have done to your seat? Also, I am not sure to understand well, did you lose something in storage place?

Best

Beaker99

• Auckland, New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 02:57:31 AM »
Sorry for the slow reply. See attachment. I've made no other modification to the seat apart from taking out the "helmet hump" from below. I can now slide back a reasonable distance on the seat, and the small back rest simply compacts down underneath me with no resistance because the hump isn't there any more.

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 01:24:16 PM »
well I put nearly 300 flogging miles on my heavily modified seat yesterday and I love it!  I cut out the foam butt bumper entirely - then cut out equal amount from the passenger area - re-install butt bumper to the rearmost position - I then took the comfy seat foam off of my MTD riding mower and glued the whole damn thing together & carved it to fit. It's awesome. re-installed the seat cover it's saggy-wrinkly looking in the butt area but I don't care about that it's super comfy. I now sit ON the smooth leather part that used to be against my back. I cut huge amounts from the seat pan and installed a couple automotive seat belts across under the foam to act as a sling for my butt. The seating position is great... it's WAY back , a couple inches higher & tilted back nice & comfy so I no longer feel like I'm sliding off the front.

86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

FJTRoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
tried to post pics.

check my FB page

86FJ1200
07Burgman650
15Downtown300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()