Author Topic: Avon tires  (Read 1822 times)

PSBear

• View Profile
Avon tires
« on: July 09, 2016, 12:31:26 PM »
I just bought a new to me 2010 GV 250 (12k miles). Tires are mismatched and cupped. front is a Maxxis and rear is an Avon. I am not familiar with Avon tires, but just ordered 2 to be put on in a week. The scoot will be sent out to Palm Springs (from MSP)-will the heat affect the Avon tires, and or should I switch to a different tire before its too late.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Avon tires
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
My only gripe about Avons is the miles was kinda short for the rear. It was the same for the Maxxis which was short, im my opinion, at about 8000 miles. Other than that Avon should be fine. I LOVED the Metzelers after I put them on the DT300i. Handling improved greatly over the Maxxis. Many on here rave about Michelin City Grips so I might try them next.

Karl

Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

pipster326

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:38:14 PM »
Same as Karl, just put metzeler's feelfree on front and back.. Love them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PSBear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 08:47:42 PM »
Thanks guys-Apparently I'm stuck with the Avon's. I talked to the Scooter shop and Avon are all they can get due to the wheel size...Strange?

PSBear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 09:34:47 PM »
I canceled the Avon tires and tried to purchase the Metzelre's, but due to the wheel size (front 120/70-12, rear 140/70-12) they couldn't order them. Also tried to order the Michelin city grips, but once again the size of the wheel; however, I was able to order Michelin power pure ($45.99 front, $48.99 rear)...Any comments?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »
www.motorcycle-superstore.com gets them with no trouble and they are cheaper than most shops. However, YOU gotta put 'em on!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 01:00:53 PM »
???"(MSP)"
   Minneapolis - St. Paul

Motorcycle Squid Parking

Monterey State Park

?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »
My only gripe about Avons is the miles was kinda short for the rear.

again, I don't have a scooter, but of all the street oriented tires I have ran on my motorcycles, I found Avon's to be the my favorite, they may not handle as well when new, as a new Michelin, Pirelli, Metzler or Continental, etc. but they are consistent throughout their tread life unlike every other brand I have tried (all the major brands and more) that deteriorate in handling as they wear

why ? would you ask, because they have a unique variable belt density carcass construction rather than using multiple rubber compounds, softer at the edges for cornering traction and harder in the center for longevity

I did discover, after an email to Avon, the key to longevity is that Avon recommends slightly higher pressure than other manufacturers due to the unique carcass construction, visiting the Avon website, I see that Avon scooter tires also use the VBD construction

what I was told by Avon was expect a 10% loss in tread life for every 2psi  you drop from their recommended pressures with no substantial gain in traction, I was able to get 13k± miles with an Avon on the rear of my SV650 
RandyO
IBA#9560

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()