Author Topic: Relationship between roller weight and spring stiffness?  (Read 11445 times)

premnas

• View Profile
Re: Relationship between roller weight and spring stiffness?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
Hello all.  I am in the process of some of these same mods. I ordered 5.5 gram sliders, main 1500 torque spring, 1000 torque spring, and a set of three different strength fly springs and should be arriving this week.  I am hoping to have the same result.  I am a little worried about losing the top end speed with these stiffer springs and lighter sliders.  The stock roller weight is 6.5 gram.  I will be using the mid range stiffness springs and either 1500 or 1000 torque spring...What do you think?  Will I be losing top end speed for the better acceleration?   

So many different combos...I am overwhelmed.  HELP!

I haven't even made any changes to the clutch springs and am still happy with the results- good acceleration and top speed of about 49 mph (according to the speedo anyway, but still a 15 mph gain over stock).  Since you're going to have springs of varying stiffness, including the stock springs, you'll have plenty of options to tweak your scooter just the way you want it.  I'd replace the stock rollers, and see how they work with the stock springs...  Then start with the lighter springs, working your way up until you either maximize performance, or reach the point of diminishing returns.  If you don't mind, let us know what springs you decide to use and what the results were using the springs you don't use.  Good luck!

thelastkahl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:13 AM »
Yeah I will def post the results. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:45 AM »
The best advice thelastkahl is to change one part out at a time. Then you KNOW what each one did. For the riser bit... I added 4" longer laid down mounted shocks on a MX bike. It added 2 1/2" to the seat height, and swing arm travel, which is what I wanted. It increased the attack angle of the forks by approx. 2 degrees. The bike felt GREAT. I ran it for 2-3 weeks, and was happy as a pig. RACE DAY... The track was full of standing water. I started out on my practice laps. The first full bore run I took, I landed a double/ the front tire caught the mud , and a high speed wobble of the bars put me over the top. When I woke up from my center track nap there were too many injuries to list here. The problem was I had hit the limit of stability in the geometry of the steering. The weight of resistance of the water was enough to yank the bars, and kinetic energy took over from there. My point is this... It may feel GREAT when you test ride. but there are too many variables to be sure you have your geometry dialed in. There is a margin for error built into the design on your scoot, but there is also a point of NO return. Have you seen a shopping cart wheel that wobbles back and forth at speed. The SAME principal applies here. There is no getting out of it. Sooooo BE CAREFUL when changing the attack angle. UNLESS you have a dope for a test pilot.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 02:18:22 AM »
Could you tell me a little more about the riser?
..here are a cpl pics of the riser...

..for me, this design is tried and true..

..raises the seat 1.5 inches...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:55 AM »
I ordered 5.5 gram sliders,

..you won't lose any top speed due to these rollers...

..i'd put my money on a 5gr roller--1000 contra--1000 fly clutch setup...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »
Could you tell me a little more about the riser?
..here are a cpl pics of the riser...

..for me, this design is tried and true..

..raises the seat 1.5 inches...
   No doubt it works! My thought is going higher may just end up w/ your a$$ being lower... Just looking out for a BRO!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
I THINK RISERS  WILL GIVE YOU JUST HEIGHT BUT YOU WILL LOOSE STABILITY AT SPEEDS AND WILL ALSO GIVE YOU AN EXTRA 1 1/2 INCH MORE OF GROUND FORCE WHEN YOU HIT IT  :(
ALL STOCK

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
AN EXTRA 1 1/2 INCH MORE OF GROUND FORCE WHEN YOU HIT IT    Well put!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 03:27:14 PM »
..all i KNOW...is that i could tell the differencce the first time i rode it, and it handles BETTER than without the riser...

..slow fast wet dry...whatever...

;D

..dumping the scoot at 45 mph is gonna hurt, from any height...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 04:43:45 AM »
Any time you raise the rear you are making the front end quicker. The larger rear tire did it for me. I wanted to try going another 1/2" but I just don't trust the frame enough. Yours is a whole nuther story.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()