Author Topic: Tips for Changing Gear Oil and Suprise Benefit  (Read 6291 times)

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
Tips for Changing Gear Oil and Suprise Benefit
« on: May 31, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
Today I changed the gear oil on my bike.  Sorry everyone I was going to post a video but this actually turned out to be very simple and I believe that the diagram in the user manual is probably enough.  I removed the fill plug and the drain plug just as they stated in the user manual.  I drained the oil and as I was watching I wanted to see what would happen if I turned the wheel (by hand) to see if more oil would come out.  To my suprise  :o every time I turned the wheel backwards more and more of the oil came out.  (Actually quite a large amount)  Just for reference the capacity is listed as 0.18 liters using this process below I used almost an entire 1 liter bottle of oil. EDIT: DO NOT OVERFILL THE GEAR OIL.  PLEASE SEE MY POST BELOW.  I believe this capacity that is listed is because they don't expect you to get out all the oil and using this process I believe that you can get out most of it.  This has to be better for the gears.

My bike is new and this happens to be the first time the the gear oil has been changed.  So just to make sure I got out any of the nastiness inside the gear case I filled it with new oil and ran it on its stand for about 2 minutes at 20 MPH.  I then dumped out that oil as quickly as I could (left bolts a little lose) and used the same process of turning the wheel backwards to make sure I got out every drop that was possible. 

I just wanted to let everyone know that when you are changing your gear oil turning the tire backwards will help you to get out all the old oil that you possibly can.  My guess is that this will work on other models but I can't be totally sure.

As an added benefit this also stopped the noise I was having with my rear brakes.  This was a high pitched squealing noise.  Kinda embarrassing on a new bike.  After changing the gear oil this noise is totally gone..
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 11:37:02 PM by Travis »
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

hclark

• View Profile
Re: Tips for Changing Gear Oil and Suprise Benefit
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 05:28:28 PM »
Hi,
I recently changed my gear oil for the first time according to the owners manual and I am not sure I did it correctly.  The manual indicates that the capacity is .18L which appears to be the amount that drained from the drain plug hole but I did not measure the volume.  It then proceeded to take about .75L at which point it started to drip from the fill hole.  I was afraid it was overfilled so I drained it again and used a syringe to insert exactly 180cc of gear oil.  Now I am afraid that it is underfilled after reading your post.  Should I continue to insert gear oil until it comes out?  Any help would be appreciated.

hclark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
Update,
There is some additional discussion on this in the General section.  It appears the owners manual is in error with regard to filling with gear oil to the bottom of the fill hole.  According to Kymco the only sure way is to drain the oil and use a large syringe to inject exactly 180cc (.18L).  I would not recommend turning the tire to eject more oil unless you measured the amount removed and replaced it with the same amount but you might be under filling if the oil was low to begin with.  If you fill to the bottom of the fill hole you are definitely over filling but it appears that even over filling will not damage the engine.
Just a suggestion.
Hal

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »
It seems impossible to overfill.  It's supposed to be filled to the bottom of the bolt hole.

Travis, are you certain that it's the transmission and not engine oil you drained?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 08:54:14 PM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »
I actually overfilled mine when I did it that way.  The only way to fill it is to measure the amount before adding it.  If you put in too much (as I did) it ends up getting into the airbox.  I went to check my air filter and it was totally saturated with oil.

I will edit my original post
People S200, Modulating Headlights, Brake Flasher, LED Tail Lights,  Click Picture to see additional photos.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:22 AM »
Does anyone know if the 180 cc measure is applicable for a 2002 people 50 ? The owners manual says to fill until overflowing . Thanks .

Travis

• View Profile
    • Travis's Blog Site
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
The capacity should be marked on the gear case.  At least it is on my scooter.

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 07:04:45 AM »
The People S 200 takes 180cc of gear oil on a change (210 cc if completely dry, such as after disassembly).

The People S 50 only takes 90cc of gear oil on a change.

The transmission case breather tube runs to the air filter.  The transmission needs to breathe, and this ensures that any air that needs to flow into the transmission case is dry and filtered. 

I think Travis proved that if overfilled, backing the wheel can pump gear oil into the air filter.
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()