Author Topic: AirDam clutches Kymco MXU 450i  (Read 2034 times)

Bratman2

• View Profile
AirDam clutches Kymco MXU 450i
« on: January 25, 2017, 01:47:35 AM »
Last Friday my clutches came back from AirDam. Had the day off so I pulled the clutches off. I tapped the weights out of the rollers and drilled a 1/8" hole all the way through each weight. Deburred the holes and tapped back into their sleeve. This should raises the engagement of the CVT by a couple of hundred rpm. Raising torque on take off. Plus it's free, lol! My feelings on the AirDam clutch work, well worth the money. I am so sorry my Samsung Galaxy took a crap so I have no test data to losing the phone and app for this last mod, my clutch system. I had already installed my 25" Carlise radials so data would be skewed anyways. My feelings after putting several hard miles on my Kymco this morning, pulling the clutches, and putting several more hard miles on it after lunch!!! It seems ever so slightly lower geared than the 2MM shim mod made it. If I was to guess it is like starting off with 2.25-2.5mm of shims. But, a big but, I gained all my top speed back. With the 2mm of shims my top speed dropped from 56mph to 48mph. It is back, and that is with 1" taller tires so my speedometer is probably reading several mph lower than I am actually going. !
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Bratman2

• View Profile
Re: AirDam clutches Kymco MXU 450i
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »
After putting more miles on this thing today I'll adjust my post. Compared to 2mm of shims the AirDam machined pulleys feel more like 2.5-3.0mm of shims. I can ease on the throttle in low range and hit 4k rpm going so slow the speedometer doesn't even read. In high range I can hit 4k at about 6mph. Acceleration is awesome out the hole.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

MitchPeder7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:10 AM »
Awesome, airdam pretty quick? Or did it end up taking a few months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:25 PM »
Not real quick, about 7 weeks. I had read were someone waited nearly 3 months so mine was faster than that. I bought a complete used pulley set, weights and fixed plate off Ebay. Think I paid $65.00 for them and sent that pulley set in to eliminate down time. Even with the additional cost of the pulley set it was worth it to me for what it did. The 450i is similar to Arctic Cat XC 450, Core 450 and Alterra 450. That was what I used to search for the pulleys if you decide to go that route along with Kymco Maxxer and MXU 450. I knew Airdam was familiar with them because he has a XC450 he has modded.

To update my timed runs, since I have no app. I did 4 runs in gravel with a stop watch and averaged mid to upper 4 second range to 60 kph. That is a rough average and not sure if it compares equally to the app. I do know it is considerably faster than the 2mm shims. I think the shims knock the midrange down too low.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

MitchPeder7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:23 PM »
Not real quick, about 7 weeks. I had read were someone waited nearly 3 months so mine was faster than that. I bought a complete used pulley set, weights and fixed plate off Ebay. Think I paid $65.00 for them and sent that pulley set in to eliminate down time. Even with the additional cost of the pulley set it was worth it to me for what it did. The 450i is similar to Arctic Cat XC 450, Core 450 and Alterra 450. That was what I used to search for the pulleys if you decide to go that route along with Kymco Maxxer and MXU 450. I knew Airdam was familiar with them because he has a XC450 he has modded.

To update my timed runs, since I have no app. I did 4 runs in gravel with a stop watch and averaged mid to upper 4 second range to 60 kph. That is a rough average and not sure if it compares equally to the app. I do know it is considerably faster than the 2mm shims. I think the shims knock the midrange down too low.
Awesome info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()