Author Topic: DC Volt Adapter inside left compartment  (Read 2181 times)

spikebites

• View Profile
DC Volt Adapter inside left compartment
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:37:58 AM »
Does this thing work at all?  I tried one of my car chargers with usb ports to charge my cell phone, and it didn't do anything.

Or is the fuse broken?  Where are the fuses?  I looked in the manual to no avail.

I couldn't find a DIY or anything regarding this.. can anyone help?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: DC Volt Adapter inside left compartment
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »
the fuse is behind the plug in, so you have to take the front end off,  I replaced the fuse with a dash mount fuse with heavier wire, so I can use 5 or 10 watt fuse ,  what is in there now is .05 watt fuse, 

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »
the fuse is behind the plug in, so you have to take the front end off,  I replaced the fuse with a dash mount fuse with heavier wire, so I can use 5 or 10 watt fuse ,  what is in there now is .05 watt fuse,

The Downtown comes with a .08 fuse. I had my dealer put in a 3 watt during my last service.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

spikebites

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 06:20:08 AM »
thanks for the replies... is there a video on how to take off the panel?  or is it pretty self explanatory?  I haven't attempted it yet but, I don't want to do something and have trouble putting everything back together.

And why would they use a .08 fuse?  is that even strong enough to handle charging a cell phone?  What fuse would you recommend for it to handle most electronics that charge via usb port?

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
thanks for the replies... is there a video on how to take off the panel?  or is it pretty self explanatory?  I haven't attempted it yet but, I don't want to do something and have trouble putting everything back together.

And why would they use a .08 fuse?  is that even strong enough to handle charging a cell phone?  What fuse would you recommend for it to handle most electronics that charge via usb port?

I was told a 3 was enough for that.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 04:10:20 PM »
Easy solution....charge your phone before you leave the house....you wont be using your phone WHILE you're on your bike (unless you're insane...lol) so it should stay charged the whole time...right? I'm no expert on automotive electrical workings but you would never change out your fuse on your car or your house and risk a fire for a bigger one if the manufacture didn't call out for it. While it may seem like a good idea there must be a reason Kymco didnt go with a bigger fuse. There are many things mechanical you can " jerry rig" in life but I think electrical systems is one area where "rigging" should be avoided. I have been on my bike now for over 25,000 miles and yet have never suffered a dead phone, but then again I am not on it any longer than 4 hours tops. If I were going for a trip that would mean camping or staying over somewhere and you would have access to electricity to charge your phone. Just my 2 cents but why risk a fire?

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 07:34:53 PM »
Easy solution....charge your phone before you leave the house....you wont be using your phone WHILE you're on your bike (unless you're insane...lol) so it should stay charged the whole time...right? I'm no expert on automotive electrical workings but you would never change out your fuse on your car or your house and risk a fire for a bigger one if the manufacture didn't call out for it. While it may seem like a good idea there must be a reason Kymco didnt go with a bigger fuse. There are many things mechanical you can " jerry rig" in life but I think electrical systems is one area where "rigging" should be avoided. I have been on my bike now for over 25,000 miles and yet have never suffered a dead phone, but then again I am not on it any longer than 4 hours tops. If I were going for a trip that would mean camping or staying over somewhere and you would have access to electricity to charge your phone. Just my 2 cents but why risk a fire?

No chance of a fire by upgrading to a 3 amp fuse, Silly. Many people use their phones as a GPS, or use a GPS and a .08 amp fuse is useless.I put in a stronger battery... does that "Jerry-rig" my bike and increase chances of fire ? I'd like to utilize heated clothing in the future and the original battery and fuse will not support that. You might  want to consult a mechanic ( like I did through my Kymco dealer) before  jumping to conclusions and throwing insulting comments out there .

Molino

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:44:41 AM »
you need to remove the front fairing including the windshield to replace the DC fuse, i've done it at my local dealer, i found this post describing how to do it
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=10361.0
also this is what's written in the service manual for removing front cover
FRONT CENTER COVER
Remove the windshield
Remove four screws, then remove the front
center cover.
Remove the front cover.
Installation is in the reverse order of removal.

FRONT COVER
Remove the small front cover(black) screw
Remove the small front cover(black)
Remove two nuts.
Remove eight screws from the inner cover.
Remove the front cover

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()