Author Topic: Safety recall notice on 450i  (Read 2858 times)

Coach

• View Profile
Safety recall notice on 450i
« on: March 09, 2016, 01:38:28 AM »
I received a safety recall notice in the mail today on my 450i. It says that the throttle cable needs to be changed and re-routed because it can get water in it. They say it can freeze and then cause a run away throttle condition. They recommend not using the vehicle until it is taken to the dealer and repaired. I doubt it will freeze here in Florida anytime soon but I will get it repaired. Anybody else get this ?
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Safety recall notice on 450i
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 03:51:46 AM »
Yep, I got mine today....same thing....seeings how winter is over I may just wait a little while to see if I have any other dealer required issues while warranty is in effect. I will get it taken care of, just not right this minute. My dealer is over an hour away so if I can make arrangements to have the part there and have me show up first thing some morning and get the repair done and come back home as I do not want to make multiple trips back and forth to get this fixed.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
I figure if it can get water in it whether is is freezing temps or not is not good for the cable, especially if the water may be silty, I will be getting the recall done asap
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:47:24 PM »
I figure if it can get water in it whether is is freezing temps or not is not good for the cable, especially if the water may be silty, I will be getting the recall done asap

The warranty will be replacing the entire cable mechanism with a new one so if your present one gets some crud in it, it will be tossed anyway. I am going to wait a couple months and see if I have any other warranty issues to get them all done at once.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 01:24:14 PM »
The warranty will be replacing the entire cable mechanism with a new one so if your present one gets some crud in it, it will be tossed anyway. I am going to wait a couple months and see if I have any other warranty issues to get them all done at once.

I suppose, if it's a pia to get the UTV to the dealer if you have to trailer it. I have mine dual registered, the dealer is 8 miles away and I can drive it there
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 12:12:40 AM »
I suppose, if it's a pia to get the UTV to the dealer if you have to trailer it. I have mine dual registered, the dealer is 8 miles away and I can drive it there

Well heck yes....I see that as just a good excuse to go for a ride on your UTV. Wish mine was that close......

harry396

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 08:49:15 PM »
I am one of the lucky ones that had the frozen cable issue. Three times actually. first time it was on a trail next to a stream. I was not going fast so the brake held it back til I turned off the ignition. I was able to free it up, the second time was on the road at full throttle. Like the first time I shut it down but had to take the cable off the throttle body and go home at idle. I sprayed the cable with wd40 and it loosened up. The next morning it was frozen solid again.
 The day before a friends wife was pulling it into my garage next to two classic cars. Thankfully it did not stick then as she would not have known what to do and slammed into the cars.
 I got a new cable (not the recall cable) and have not had the problem since.
I talked to the dealer and we ordered the new cable for the recall because it is being rerouted with a different cable all together. I don't want to go through that problem again. I also was told by a friend that warm or cold weather shouldn't matter as the cable might not freeze in Florida but it wild definitely rust with all the water that's stuck in the sleeve.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:30:25 PM »
Thanks for that piece of information. Nothing like good first hand knowledge to make people understand.

Coach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 01:59:38 AM »
Thanks for that piece of information. Nothing like good first hand knowledge to make people understand.

Yep, mines in Florida but I've already made an appointment to get it fixed. If it can get water in it and freeze it can surely hold water and rust or get jammed up with dirt, rust, etc. I ain't playing with a bad throttle cable on ANY machine.
Retired outdoor bum!
I like it too!

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 04:46:58 PM »
I have not gotten anything, Hmmm, I might call the dealer... I use mine in freezing weather all the time
It can always be climbed.....

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »
   Yes I would definetly call your dealer or check in with the factory in SC. they have a website on the net..."kymco usa"  they even have a phone number to call. You will be put on hold but I have spoken to them about other things and they were very nice and helpful.

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
If your VIN is within the VIN range shown below you should get a letter. If not your OK. When in doubt, call the dealer you purchased from

RFBUR32A2FB100101 - RFBUR32A6FB190370

RFBUR32A6GB190371 - RFBUR32A2GB260240

SuperHeliDave

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the Info, Ill ck this weekend...
It can always be climbed.....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()