Author Topic: Self-driving uber car killed a crossing pedestrian.  (Read 995 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Self-driving uber car killed a crossing pedestrian.
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:00:41 PM »
This is a topic that sort of irks me, and I have a feeling that anyone on two wheels are going to disproportionately at risk from this technology. I'm just too familiar with computers to have any faith in a computer program having the reliability to drive on public roads, especially off the interstate. This combined with so many people saying that soon manually operated cars will be phased out / illegal.

A while back, a self driving car collided with a truck, mistaking it for a sign. The exact sort of thing you might expect.

Recently, a self driving car from Uber collided with a pedestrian pushing a bicycle across a road.

The initial reports were simply UNTRUE: that a pedestrian abruptly exited the median into traffic. In fact she was just finishing crossing three lanes when she was hit. The video shows it to be very dark, but I'm quite sure that human eyes would have seen much more. Even in the video though, I detected movement in the dark that would have alerted me about three seconds prior to impact.

The car evidently NEVER detected her, AT ALL! Even when she was in the headlights (that it was outdriving). Never slowed down in the least, never swerved.

What if it had been a bicycle legally driving in its lane? Small scooter? Would it have picked up a large scooter? Who knows.

Here's the video:

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Self-driving uber car killed a crossing pedestrian.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
It looked to me like the driver was texting....or messing with cell phone.
Is she liable?
Sad, for both of them.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:01:25 AM »
The premise of having someone at the wheel ready to intervene at a split second is kind of ludicrous anyways.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 01:32:45 AM »
Sorry, boys! Can't keep my mouth shut! 1. Speed limit capable GPS many times show limits in conflict with signs. Why? Government people do not update the map info data bases in a timely manner or not at all. Probably why the GPS contoured vehicle was "speeding." 2. Situational awareness of victim non-existent whether she just stepped off the curb or was nearly across three lanes. Now I will watch the video and see how badly I stepped on...ahh... you know what!

Didja know many airliners have had auto-land capability for several years? Most crews would not use it even if the FAR's (rules of the FAA) would allow it. In fact, with all the technology currently available, completely automated flight is possible, no pilots at all! All that automatic stuff could NOT have made the decisions that Captain Sully made to save ALL the souls on board his big glider - it was no powered aircraft after a buncha geese lunched both engines!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 02:43:14 AM »
The premise of having someone at the wheel ready to intervene at a split second is kind of ludicrous anyways.
I wonder if her job was to watch for danger and apply an emergency stop or some other purpose.  The lady on the bike should not have been hit. Very sad.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 09:34:20 AM »
Just turning it around for a second....

Why was the person crossing a 3(?) lane highway in the dark? (unless the rules are different in the US?). Seems like a rather silly thing to do.

Why didn't the pedestrian see the car coming and wait for it to go past?

On the other hand, you'd think the car's LIDAR system would work the same in darkness or in daylight, so that is a worry.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 04:15:52 PM »
Agreed that the pedestrian was crossing dangerously. It seems kind of incidental to the complete absence of recognition that there was something to avoid.

When I pull up to a traffic light, I think to myself "I hope this picks me up," especially at night. I feel like we're being put into a similar situation, only now it's giant robots that can run us over. And it's everything on every road that's at risk.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 05:09:57 PM »
The company that makes the LIDAR hardware have said their system worked as it should. They sell the same system to a number of driverless car companies who all design their own software for it.

So basically, they're pointing the finger at UBER's software.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »
I would imagine that the LIDAR hardware just outputs raw imaging data and its going to be up to the software to identify things that it needs to avoid. It's the latter part that I have no faith in.

Although now that I think about it, I wonder whether the hardware is vulnerable to say, getting dirty or blocked by rain and such.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »
Someone else made a video for the purpose of showing just how misleading the original video was.

It's even easier to see than I expected. To the point where I think it was fair enough to expect cars to see you and slow down.

https://youtu.be/CRW0q8i3u6E?t=33s

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()