Author Topic: Need Some Help Please - Stock Kymco 50cc People 2T  (Read 1070 times)

lakesideinnb

• View Profile
Need Some Help Please - Stock Kymco 50cc People 2T
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:46:07 PM »
Just spent an hour writing a real good detailed post and hit the back button to make a correction and all gone, well here goes my 2nd attempt.  Going to keep this one shorter.

Trying to fix my daughter's scooter for her to ride at college.  Was running fine last year and all summer, now I got no spark, replaced plug, still no spark.  Engine turns over fine.  Got a manual and it states ohm readings across coil leads should be 0.153 > 0.187 ohms, I am reading 0.0 across the leads the two wires plug into.  Also states from one plug/terminal to spark plug cap should by 7.0K > 8.4K ohms and I am reading 18.8K ohmns.

Does this mean the coil is bad?  If so does anyone know where I can get one for reasonable cost?  Local scooter shop quoted me $40 plus when I see them on web for $10 to $20 but not exact replacement.  This one states it is for 125cc to 150cc GY6 based engines and spark plug cap is deeper.  http://www.partsforscooters.com/164-55_GY6_Ignition_Coil?sc=34&category=132416

Thanks for any and all assistance!

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: Need Some Help Please - Stock Kymco 50cc People 2T
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »
Just spent an hour writing a real good detailed post and hit the back button to make a correction and all gone, well here goes my 2nd attempt.  Going to keep this one shorter.

Trying to fix my daughter's scooter for her to ride at college.  Was running fine last year and all summer, now I got no spark, replaced plug, still no spark.  Engine turns over fine.  Got a manual and it states ohm readings across coil leads should be 0.153 > 0.187 ohms, I am reading 0.0 across the leads the two wires plug into.  Also states from one plug/terminal to spark plug cap should by 7.0K > 8.4K ohms and I am reading 18.8K ohmns.

Does this mean the coil is bad?  If so does anyone know where I can get one for reasonable cost?  Local scooter shop quoted me $40 plus when I see them on web for $10 to $20 but not exact replacement.  This one states it is for 125cc to 150cc GY6 based engines and spark plug cap is deeper.  http://www.partsforscooters.com/164-55_GY6_Ignition_Coil?sc=34&category=132416

Thanks for any and all assistance!

Hey there, sounds like you are on the right track for sure. Those coils online for 10-20$ are chinese made, the OEM Kymco one (made in Taiwan) is higher quality hence higher price. I would go for the OEM one but any of those generic ones will work, just take the spark plug cap off your existing one. Worth a try for $10. Dont forget the kill switch on the handle bar tho!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()