Author Topic: Total damage of my KYMCO Grand Dink 250  (Read 10402 times)

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Total damage of my KYMCO Grand Dink 250
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
In some ways I still can't believe it all happened but I'm glad you are keeping us up to date with the pictures.
PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 04:00:47 PM »
Some of my fracs and titanium implants, double fracture of my left femur, due to compression via frame and deceleration:

Left fibula and tibia fracture:

Compression fracture of my left femur:

Right knee fracture and reconstruction:

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 06:11:40 PM »
Some of my fracs and titanium implants, double fracture of my left femur, due to compression via frame and deceleration:...

Wow, especially the compound fracture and putting all the pieces back in place.  At least it was a commercial vehicle so the insurance should be good.  What are you able to do? How much time do you have before you are walking? 

My major accident resume looks like this:
1990 - broken left leg after hitting the side of a car that pulled out from a stop sign as I was passing in lane the car in front of me which was turning into that same street. Had a full leg cast for 5 weeks? then a walking cast for 4 weeks? then a cane for 4 weeks.  I was 23.

2009 - while playing dodge ball after about an hour my left Achilles tendon snapped - was able to walk normally after about 3 or 4 months. I was 43.
PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:00 AM »
To sue him or his employer! For now i have to go to a recovery clinic for fizical therapy. At least two more months till i walk again unaided.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:27:36 AM by Rudolf »

mrbios

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2015, 07:32:24 AM »
To sue him or his employer! For mow i have to go to a recovery clinic for fizical therapy. At least two more months till i walk again unaided.

Each time I was injured I had to focus on what I could do and not what I couldn't do. 
PaulC

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2015, 08:24:45 AM »
To all the drivers out there!

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »

My Burgman AN400 has a beefy frame - but still would not want to hit something head-on. The Burgman does not have an airbag or a seat belt.....
If the scooter front doesn't come to meet me - I'll be going to meet it.
Same diff...
Hope you have a full and speedy recovery.
Stig
This is awesome! A lesson that KYMCO could learn from.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 11:49:28 AM »
I wonder what the chances are of a direct head on collusion that results in a frame fold the kind Rudolf suffered? It can happened, but is it enough to render all step through designs as dangerous? Not sure. Seeing the posted pics does makes my decision to ride a DT without flat running boards feel better. Rudolf, given your size I have a feeling some kind of leg injury was inevitable. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sue the hell out of someone and live the good life.

-Wolf

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »
Thanks, Wolf! I will sue the crap out of the driver that didn't yield to me before turning left, also i can sue his employer. I was comming from the opposite  to him so he should have yielded to me before turning left.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:30 AM »
I wonder what the chances are of a direct head on collusion that results in a frame fold the kind Rudolf suffered? It can happened, but is it enough to render all step through designs as dangerous? Not sure. Seeing the posted pics does makes my decision to ride a DT without flat running boards feel better. Rudolf, given your size I have a feeling some kind of leg injury was inevitable. Wish you a speedy recovery.

Sue the hell out of someone and live the good life.

-Wolf

A "fold-up" event is inherent to step thru scooters. Nothing new there and a risk we choose to take.
As far as framed maxis like the DT don't get a false sense of security. Although there is more frame there is no high frame support as on a motorcycle. Without that bar the scoot will fold if smacked hard enough. Another risk we assume.

To put it into perspective. I've been in 2 major cycle wrecks in 40 years and managed to walk again after. Ten years ago a slip fall in the bathroom left me a L4 paraplegic , not I risk I ever payed much attention to. Now more than a few steps requires a wheelchair.

Go figure.

AMAC

www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 01:18:29 AM »
AMAC,

That is crazy. Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, regardless of any perceived sense of safety, flat running boards or not I'm going to do my best to avoid being hit by anyone, or in any way. Once is enough for me.

- Wolf

Rudolf

• Born to be wild!!!
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2015, 05:58:12 AM »
This is the most common type of motorcycle accident, when an other vehicle turns left in front of a motorcyclist.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()