Author Topic: just got my agility 125: break-in period and mirror question  (Read 4003 times)

ad_astra

• View Profile
Hello evryone. I've been reading the forum, helping to make my purchase decision, but the time is right to stop lurking and sign up. I bought the scooter and trucked it home to today from an out of town dealer that was not too far. Got a good price. several hundred under msrp, even out the door.  I love it so far.

I am a big guy, so it might just be that, but I am having trouble getting a good adjustment on the mirrors. Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions? Aftermarket mirrors?

Other than that, it's been fun so far. The owner's manual says to keep it under 25mph the first 200 miles. I don't really see how that is realistic. How have you all handled the break in period?

I am used to riding mopeds and motorized bicycles. I keep wanting to reach my feet back to find peddles. I'll get used putting boots on the floorboards, eventually.
2014 Kymco Agility 125

beermak

• View Profile
Re: just got my agility 125: break-in period and mirror question
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 05:36:54 AM »
Dont worry about brake in.. my experience use it as its goingo to be used. Never carry a steady speed and avoid idling for long periods. After 200mi change the oil.
Use the hole throtle..  dont be afraid

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:37:30 AM »
You should keep it at 30mph or less for the first 200 miles. As for the mirrors have a look around for ones that are longer i believe they use an m8 thread fitting.
Kymco agility city 125cc (2013)
4000km

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
Dont worry about brake in.. my experience use it as its goingo to be used. Never carry a steady speed and avoid idling for long periods. After 200mi change the oil.
Use the hole throtle..  dont be afraid

If he was asking about a modern car id agree since were not and these scooters are based on an old design a break in period is absolutely necessary for engine longevity. As for never carry a steady speed wtf? you mean never cruise? what kind of bizarre advice is that????

Also @ OP you should change your gear oil after the break in period as well as engine oil, you will find its rarely quality stuff and will be discolored and full of particulates.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:45:13 AM by MrXT »
4000km

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
2nd day, took it to 50. probably should but haven't experienced any problems yet.  :D
2014 Kymco Agility 125

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »
2nd day, took it to 50. probably should but haven't experienced any problems yet.  :D

You won't have problems this soon, the run in period is for engine longevity, ragging the sh** out of it now will cause issues in the future not right now.
4000km

Vision

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 12:43:59 AM »
My dealer told me to take it easy and bring it in for the first service at 500 MILES.

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:42:13 AM »
My dealer told me to take it easy and bring it in for the first service at 500 MILES.

If you bought it brand new then thats bullsh**, you absolutely need an engine oil change before that!
4000km

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »

I have a 300i downtown  2011  ,.  on my break in ,I have a hill with 10 % grade, 2 miles from the house,  my break in was,  ride to hill ,  wot. up the hill,.   go nice and easy to turn around and hit the top of hill at high speed and close throttle down the hill,  I did that for 25 miles,   then went home to change the oil,  after that I rode for the next 200 miles fast and slow ,and change the oil again,.  every oil change to 600 miles I got less and less specks in the oil,. and allways change oil HOT,. befor any thing settles and not come out, wear your gloves the oil is hot ,.  60,000 km. now and my scooter runs better every year,.       I have dr. pulley 15 gram sliders and a modded  by me., variator,.  82 year old and still riding, de dee

springdew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 03:41:26 PM »
I did the break in exactly as specified in the manual. Annoying, but doable. I'm a year in now and pretty happy.

I too have mirror issues. I get a really fantastic view ... of my elbows. I'm constantly adjusting them and still have to duck and dip to see what's behind me. Not so bad on days when I don't have to wear a jacket. I may yet get after market mirrors.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Metreaus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Mirrors: You can adjust them for a wider span. Grab an adjustable wrench and unscrew the nut seen in this photo. Once unscrewed, you can push the mirror out a little bit. I have mine adjusted so that they're parallel with the top front cowling edges.

Also, these mirrors are about the same length, but allow for more precise adjustments and are (what I call) "sag resistant"...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooter-Mirrors-1-pair-8mm-stems-Black-EMGO-20-64503-/311006924877?hash=item486975104d&vxp=mtr

Smithg27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
The break in period for these kinds of engines is important for both longevity and some performance. The break in period is for many components of the engine to mate together more evenly and smoothly than they can be assembled. The cylinder wall and piston rings are the most important of these parts though.

For more modern car/industrial engines the manufacturing processes are higher quality and thus the break in period is less important. Many cars have a small break in done by the manufacturer as they are completed off the line. Further reducing the consumer break in importance.

The same is not true for the old design Chinese engines. For a single cylinder engine like these scooters you want the rings to seat correctly into the cylinder wall and cylinder itself. The cylinder wall has microscopic ridges created by the honing process in manufacturing that the rings ride against and form a tight seal as the rings and wall wear each other smooth/flat.

There are two methods that people generally attempt to use when breaking in their new engines. The "ride it like you stole it" method and the "baby it" method.

If you ride it like you stole it slamming the throttle wide open up and closed you will create enormous expansion pressure and vacuum pressure. These can cause blow-by gasses of the cylinder in both direction into and out of the crank case (because the rings are not 100% sealed yet). Blow-by are harmful to the scoot as it can "gunk up" the cylinder walls with oil from the crank case which then doesn't allow the rings to ride those microscopic ridges that are now covered by burnt oil residue.

However if you "baby it" and ride at constant rpm's at low speed you will not create the required pressures to seal the rings adequately. The owners manual somewhat suggests this method. Many people cant resist the urge to drive a little faster or a little harder than what the manual suggests which actually can be a very good thing. Whether the owners manuals are made that way in order to stop people from the "ride it like you stole it" method assuming people cant resist the urge to push a bit more than stated is up for question. But i think that is there intent.

Anyways, as most things in life, too much of one thing isn't good. Too much slamming the throttle wide open or too much slow constant rpm riding will not do you scooter good. Riding at varying rpm and varying your speed will allow your bike to be properly broken in. Don't WOT up a hill and then coast down the other side. This causes the great pressure from the hill incline as the bike struggles to climb and then the great vacuum as the engine is forced into motion with no combustion pressure by the down slope on the other side.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()