Author Topic: Hard to start after some time  (Read 1587 times)

jos

• View Profile
Hard to start after some time
« on: July 16, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
Hi, got a 2007 City 50 4T for my daughter, and I have been reading a lot about the issues with cold start, and checked all those things, choke, valve clearance, spark plug, cables etc.
Cleaned carb, and put in a 85 main. New battery, cleaned tank, serviced the drive clutches etc. Runs 55km/h completely standard, and all is fine. BUT;
If it stands for some days, or sometimes some hours, it is very hard to get it started.
I have to run on starter for about 1 minute or more. When it finally starts its running well.
Checked the fuel pump, and it gives a good amount of gas when disconnected from carb.
I am running out of ideas....please come with some input thanks!

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
Re: Hard to start after some time
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »
First off starters are not made to crank for long periods of time they'll heat up & eventually burn up. If you can smell it the starter is damaged/ it cooks the insulating varnish on the windings. Crank only for about 20-30 seconds. Then wait about the same before trying again only try 3-4 times.
When it doesn't start pull the plug is it dry or wet? I would think dry. Dry not getting enough fuel check for a pinched or plugged line. Or the auto-by starter/choke isn't working when the engine is cold. If your carb has an accelerator pump try twisting the throttle 3-4 times before cranking, this will squirt gas into the manifold/richen the charge. You said you cleaned the carb could you see through all of the small holes in the pilot jet with no little chunks hanging on the sides of the holes? The pilot jet is where the bike gets fuel at idle so everything must be clear. Also check the pilot screw is adjusted to spec turn all the way in & about 1 1/2 to 2 full turns out. The float level could too low/ float too low into the bowl/measurement too big. If possible use only non-ethanol gas the ethanol turns to sugar & plugs EVERYTHING up in the carb, little chunks hanging on the sides of the main jet & pilot jet holes. I've even seen the vent holes in a gas cap plugged with sugar/white causing a plastic gas tank to collapse.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:52:47 PM by JayAre »
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

jos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 08:13:10 AM »
Yes, plug is dry. It does not get fuel directly.
I do not understand why....
All jets are fine, I did have the issue with partly plugged idle jet, and was sure that would cure this issue...
Only thing I am not sure on is the float level, if it is flipped 90°, should it be at same level as the carb housing?
Have changed all fule pipes and also vacuum hose to fuel pump.
There is a very small leak of fuel from the carb, as the rubber seals are probably a bit dried out and compressed. Could be that it drains the carb while parked for some time, but I cannot find a source for getting a new seal kit to the carb....tips?

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
I'm new to the moped scene, but been playing with other thing for 40yrs, so I don't have sources for parts. I was able to download a manual from a link on this forum for my wife's 2013 Agility 50. If you can find a manual it's invaluable/will have spec's. The float level is set with the carb at 90 degrees or as soon as the float contacts the needle valve & the float stops moving, there's a spring dampener on the needle valve that you don't want to compress/will effect the measurement. The level is usually then measured off the carb/where the bowl contacts the carb, face to the bottom of the float.
Once again the pilot screw will have some effect on starting as it could lean out the pilot/idle jet. You said the float bowl is leaking that also could lean things out by dropping the gas level but shouldn't cause it to crank as long as you mentioned. I'd be more worried about gas on a hot engine, Fire!. You could try a skim coat of non-drying gasket maker/Permatex, never use silicone on a fuel system!
Otherwise the could be the biggy, do a compression test. Low compression/bad rings, or a worn out piston cylinder, bent or burnt valve....will make it hard starting.
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
sound like 1 of 2 things. the battery is to low to turn the starter over. or the pet cock is going bad.buit im guessing the battery. batterys on scoots have a cranking amps just like car batterys.sometimes that part of the battery gos befor the reast.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()