Author Topic: Struggling for 40mph?  (Read 7822 times)

Kieren

• View Profile
Re: Struggling for 40mph?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 05:48:36 PM »
Tomorrows plan of action:
-Try a different exhaust
-Try different rollers
-See how many clutch turns for a full wheel revolution
-Try 7g rollers
-All above fail, re-solder one wire on CDI

If its the exhaust then the replacement should be a performance exhaust me thinks  8)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
Where di the scoot originally come from? The reason I ask is there are many different set up depending on the market it was built for. The rear gear set SHOULD be ok. The 5.5 gr rollers seem to work best on the 4 stroke engines when combined w/ stiffer clutch fly springs. The heavy rollers will give a better top end; true but the lower rpm's will suffer ie:hill power. The super 8 is a super scoot. It does need to be set up correctly, and most of what you have to do depends on the sale market. The most consistent improvement is in the cvt. I would highly recommend 5.5gr rollers, and Malossi clutch springs as a GOOD starting point. Deff. reconnect 1 of the cdi wires also (just to be sure). I understand it is a new scoot but has anyone done a compression test on it? a quick check should show at least 100 lbs. 110 -120 is perfect. also the valve adjustment is critical on that engine. I believe it is .04mm. search some of the posts on this site using keywords, and you will find more specs. I do know the cvt set up I recommend is good, and I trust your gear set is good. Do the valve check, and the compression test to be sure you are ok there, and take things 1 step at a time. If you change multiple things at once you dont' really know what did what. ROCK ON~
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kieren

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:01 PM »
I would assume it came from the UK seems as thats where i bought it and am riding it, somewhere up north if that helps (Haven't got log book yet)
Not going to start customising extra stuff like clutch springs etc yet though seems as it should be doing 45mph stock al be it de restricted.
I know roller waits will make lower end suffer but it pulls bloody well as it is so should pull well still with heaviers, it feels like its somehow restricted still seems as it stops at around 30mph at what sounds like full rpm (got over take by a 50cc that was still restricted down hill today!)
Mechanic my dad spoke to today also said about gear setups i.e its either got the wrong gears from stock due to a balls up in the factory or some tit has changed them to try and derestrict.
He also said he only does all the stuff we've already done when he de restricts them and they do 45mph easy.

If everything i try doesnt work i think Kymco SHOULD replace it / fix it as it should do 45 and is still in warranty.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 09:52:42 PM »
Absolutely "bloody well right". I had to laugh out loud! Hope you get to also! Just try to keep the bugs out of your smile doing 45+
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Kieren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
19:1 !!!!
19 turns of the clutch for one full wheel revolution!

No wonder it only does 30, the engine must be working over time  :o

New gears me thinks?

Couldnt try the other exhaust because it wouldn't fit  >:(

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 08:36:56 PM »
Anything is possible. That's why I asked where it originated. Some countries are more strict than others on the set up they will allow. Sounds like you got it under control. Please post back to let us know how you make out!

Luke.

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 04:09:02 PM »
A Bit of a late reply but this may be useful for anyone reading; the bike may not be reaching high speeds with all of that stuff done to it because you cut two wires in the CDI, you're only meant to cut ONE(i can't remember but i think it's light purple?).

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »
Luke is right about the cdi. Can you post up a pict of yours, and the wiring? If not what colors are the wires. And are you sure about the gear ratio? 19:1 will climb a wall but su<k on the road.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 11:36:07 AM »
Sorry for the threadjack but when I had my cvt cover off last week I counted turns of the clutch bell and it was 10 and 2/3rds to one revolution of the rear wheel. This is standard I guess?
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 12:19:43 PM »
Shaka's zx was around 11:1 I think. The s8 should be slightly higher, but 19:1 sounds like that may be the restriction. They change the method for each country so I am sort of clueless there. A call to Kymco UK, or a knowledgeable dealer may be in order.

Shaka

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:11 PM »
10.6:1 is the stock gearing in the ZX.

Got 8.6:1 now! ;D

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()