Author Topic: Summer jackets - your thougts please...  (Read 5543 times)

Budz

• View Profile
Summer jackets - your thougts please...
« on: March 30, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
Hello fellow riders

I am in the market for a Hi Viz Summer jacket with some measure of protection and hope to get your thoughts on these 2 jackets (or if you have a recommendation from your personal experience). My questions are what do you think of these 2 jackets (see the 2 links below) and are these type of jackets hot in the Summer? Thanks in advance...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/52584/i/firstgear-mesh-tex-jacket

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/52583/i/firstgear-rush-textile-jacket?ColorId=6380

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Summer jackets - your thougts please...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 05:19:29 AM »
I have a First Gear mesh jacket similar to those, and I wear it year round. It has a removable liner you take out for warm weather, and the air flows through it quite nicely. It only gets hot when the temperature is above 95 F. Good quality product.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »
I normaly don't make recomemdations on gear just suggestions unless I've "used" the gear in an accident. I was t-boned last March and slid in this jacket. Only time I've ever been down.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Racer-Mesh-Textile-Motorcycle-Jacket

Very light with the liner out and will withstand a slide. IMO a little pricey at the normal 169.00 but on sale now for 99.99. I just ordered another.

Oh I was on a yellow trike dressed in HIVIS and the first thing she said was........
"I never saw you"

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I recommend
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 02:22:09 PM »
Mesh with ellbo and shoulder protectors.
Everything else will be too hot.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »
Thank you for all the good advice and benefit of your experience. Just ordered the Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket from Revzilla with the CE rated back protector in Hi Viz, will let you know how it goes...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:09:35 AM by Budz »

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:08:32 PM »
Thank you for all the good advice and benefit of your experience. Just ordered the Firstgear Mesh Tex Jacket from Revilla with the CE rated back protector in Hi Viz, will let you know how it goes...

I'm sure it will work out great. Nice jacket!

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
some say they are warmer and better then leather..Best think if ya pick the right one it cam be a year around jacket.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:34:59 AM »
I normaly don't make recomemdations on gear just suggestions unless I've "used" the gear in an accident. I was t-boned last March and slid in this jacket. Only time I've ever been down.

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Racer-Mesh-Textile-Motorcycle-Jacket

Very light with the liner out and will withstand a slide. IMO a little pricey at the normal 169.00 but on sale now for 99.99. I just ordered another.

Oh I was on a yellow trike dressed in HIVIS and the first thing she said was........
"I never saw you"

Be Big,
AMAC

AMAC is right about this jacket. I have used it for year round riding here in the desert of Vegas. I have used this even int he summer time when temps are above 100 degrees. This works wonders. I have the red and black mesh jacket.
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »
One of the most important things about a jacket is that it fits properly.  I hit Bambi at about 65MPH several years ago and went asphalt surfing wearing a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket.  The jacket held up fine but it fit me way too loosely.  One of the sleeves rode up and I got road rash on one elbow.  That was my only injury.  If the jacket had fit properly I would have had no injuries.  Whatever jacket you buy, make sure you try it on and make sure it fits.  Not all jackets will work for all people.  Some are designed for heavier people, some for thinner people.  Most have adjustable retention straps to help hold everything in place but they can only adjust so far.  The fact that someone else recommends a jacket doesn't mean it will work for you.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Megan40

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:52:34 AM »
Unfortunately, you usually only learns whether it is a good product if the worst happens. I hope for all of us, that this will never happen.

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »
Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions. Received the First Gear mesh jacket (added a CE Rated back protection pad) from Revzilla (great service there) and took it for a ride. Decent jacket, very bright (I understand brightness is no guarantee people won't hit us), good air flow and decent pads (elbow, shoulder, back)...

Thanks again!

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »
I have a First Gear mesh jacket similar to those, and I wear it year round. It has a removable liner you take out for warm weather, and the air flows through it quite nicely. It only gets hot when the temperature is above 95 F. Good quality product.

+1

And I was wearing one when that delivery driver side swiped me and except for some bruises I was fine.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 02:47:22 AM »
Thank you for your helpful comments and suggestions. Received the First Gear mesh jacket (added a CE Rated back protection pad) from Revzilla (great service there) and took it for a ride. Decent jacket, very bright (I understand brightness is no guarantee people won't hit us), good air flow and decent pads (elbow, shoulder, back)...

Thanks again!
Been wearing the same jacket for 2 yrs....very visible if you got the hi viz yellow one. Also, lights up well at night. I've actually worn it at nearly 0 degrees F. with a few layers under it and 2 balaclavas....
Not totally waterproof - but pretty effective over a short distance...dries pretty quickly. And washes in gentle cycle to brighten the color again.
Without the liner it is about as cool a jacket as you could find in the summer.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()