Author Topic: Red oil pressure light  (Read 2087 times)

ktienation

• View Profile
Red oil pressure light
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
Hello, recently i observed a strange problem with my Downtown.

When i turn the key on the pre-check is done and the oil pressure (please do not misunderstand me - its not the red oil servie light) is on (this is normal and was always like this). When i turn on the engine, this light goes off and this is also perfectly normal. But than, when i turn on the lo beams, for a few secs. this oild pressure warning turns on and then it turn off again and does not light anymore (before another engine start).

Anyone faced such issue? Any sugesstions what migh this mean / should anything be done about it?

Peter

sklnzl

• View Profile
Re: Red oil pressure light
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 04:07:59 PM »
check your engine oil level ,if ok ,when was the last time / mileage you serviced the bike ?also if the light does not light up during normal driving ,no need to worry ,if this happens more often you should contact your dealer ,perhaps a faulty oil switch.Hope this helps.

windwheeler

• View Profile
    • WindStrom windshields
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:08:03 AM »
check your engine oil level ,if ok ,when was the last time / mileage you serviced the bike ?also if the light does not light up during normal driving ,no need to worry ,if this happens more often you should contact your dealer ,perhaps a faulty oil switch.Hope this helps.

I agree in all points with sklnzl. Another thing is on KYMCO's in general I have noticed, if the battery is a bit weak it can cause all kinda funny reactions.  Give the battery a full charge and over-night and see if it makes any difference.  Otherwise if oil level is OK my tip is also a possibly bad or dirty oil pressure switch.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 05:22:25 AM »
I agree with both of you. It is more likely an electrical issue, ie: low voltage. I would clean all the harness plugs, and connectors, including the main plug in the rectifier, and the chassis / engine / battery grounds.

Also do a static voltage test on the battery (12v), and a running charge test (14V), then a load test (switch on the lights / 13v-14v)

If it is still an issue then perhaps (not very likely) the pressure sender is faulty.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
Thank you guys for your replies! Oil level is ok, about 1,6k miles since last service. I havent check the battery but  maybe its the problem (its winter here and the scooter was asleep for a while) That would explain the fact, that the light goes on only for a sec or two after turning on the lights, as there is for sure a short voltage drop in the instalation at this moment.

Peter

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:11:39 AM »
There you go! you fixed it.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ktienation

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:30:12 PM »
I did charge the battery during the weekend, which was indeed low on power. However, the issue didnt dissapear. Also checked the oil level - its perfectly where it should be.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:59:24 PM »
There are only two things left.

A fairly cheap oil pressure sender or a rather expensive engine rebuild.

I'd try the sender first.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()