Author Topic: Ignition Upgrade?  (Read 3478 times)

RookieRecurve

• View Profile
Re: Ignition Upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:11:45 AM »
Great info guys!  Here is a cool video showing a timing advance trick on a Tao Tao.  I am not sure if this same technique could be applied to the Super 8 2t or not?

Zombie, you said you sheared the offset keys due to them not being burnished.  Looking at them, they would appear to be of such design that would weaken them significantly.  Any more input on that would be appreciated!

Thanks

My bad.  Here is the path to the video.  Thanks Zombie!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:21:08 PM by RookieRecurve »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 02:08:19 AM »
LOL... You forgot to install the link...

The flywheel, and crank taper are obviously produced on separate machines. Those machines have tolerances so every part will be slightly different.

To burnish the tapers you need to start with 120 grit emory paper, and wrap it around your taper so it fits w/ an end to end but joint. They can not overlap but there can be a slight gap.
I use spray glue to hold that on the crank taper. Next get that paper soaked w/ oil, and install the flywheel by hand. You need to spin it slowly in both directions while pushing it against the crank. Spin it four or five times in each direction, and re apply oil.

Do this until you see the inner taper is completely hatched all the way around. NO bare spots.

Then reverse the paper to the flywheel so it will now hatch the crank. Repeat the process until the crank is completely hatched.

step down to 600 grit, and again w/ 1000 grit. For the final hatch, rubbing compound... It's a paste.

The crank, and flywheel should look like glass, and they will fit so well that you don't need a key to retain them. The key is now just a guide for timing alignment, and those "weak" looking offset keys will hold forever.

To remove the flywheel will be a BITCH unless you strike the end of the puller. ONE sharp rap will allow the wheel to pop off.

Those keys create 2 or 3 degrees of advance. In reality you want around 6-7 degrees.
You HAVE to run premium fuel, and be SURE your jetting is rich enough. Borderline lean jetting will pre detonate, and melt valves.

Like B&L posted... cut the stator plate AND the pulsar coil so you can move them between 2, and 4mm counter clockwise.
Every bike is a little different but like I posted before 2mm was the "sweet spot" for mine (around 5-6* more initial, and 5-8 total at 10k rpm).
 The OEM timing I believe is 18-22* initial, and 0-2* total at 10K rpm.
 This mod makes 23-28* initial, and 5-8 total.

PREMIUM FUEL + PROPER JETTING!!!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
;)You have to be somewhat mechanically inclined to understand this stuff. A 3/8" mid run splice is a delicate procedure best left to idioy... or is it idiots. Latin class sucked.  :-*
What "splice"......
I clearly recall the advice oftentimes given here....".trim 3/8ths off the plug wire to improve the ignition."
So I did, in the middle.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
You're an 1/8" off, and a card short.

I think perhaps Home Ec. would suit you better. Try on some aprons while I try to find the Betty Crocker forum address for you. ;)
 ;D ;D ;D

"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()