Author Topic: drive system damage - cause?  (Read 1713 times)

Ian7

• View Profile
drive system damage - cause?
« on: November 30, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Popped the side cover off to check variators, and found the following damage. Again, this is a used but only 50 mile scoot to me. Note the "torn" tabs at the 4 oclock position in the face-on view, and the bowed-out section of the plastic vane in the side view. Looks like someone attacked it with a screwdriver, but there must be other interference? thoughts? thanks

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: drive system damage - cause?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 06:28:04 PM »
That happens if the 17mm nut that holds down the variator comes lose. Make sure if your take the variator halves apart you use loctite and an impact our torque wrench to reinstall everything.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 06:40:52 PM »
thx, I havent done anything to it, maybe the previous owner who only put 50 miles on it is a hack and got into it for some reason.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 11:46:01 PM »
It's been running hot in there too. The plastic has warped.

Check at the back end (near the rear pulleys) to see if the "S" shaped vent is open, and not blocked up w/ dust/dirt. It's part of the cover, and engine case 1/2's
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 02:37:47 AM »
out of frustration, I confronted the seller, who swears he bought it new from dealer, and did nothing but turn the key and ride it .... hmmmm    caveat emptor LOL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 02:47:17 AM »
From the wear on tha variator, and the missing/broken fins on the fan... I'd say there are more than 50 miles on the bike.
That's not really an issue tho.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Ian7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 02:51:21 AM »
It's been running hot in there too. The plastic has warped.

thx for the observation, that occurred to me as well, but the outer case has a cast 1" rectangular hole at the back, and a 1" diameter hole at the front (with a foot long tube on it as well), neither are blocked in any way..... with the scoot idling, I can feel airflow from the vanes blowing out the front.

unless the previous owner (or the dealer that sold it to him) are TOTAL liars and had the unit replaced for some reason, the odometer reads 50 miles......  at this point I'm stuck with it, need to tidy it up and get on with enjoying it hopefully.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:39 AM »
I think it is all fine. I have thousands of miles, and several hundred major rebuilds on dozens of different 50cc engines

As long as you go step by step, and take your time figuring things out... Your bike will last as long as you want it to.

Just as a guess it is possible someone took your CVT parts (Variator) and swapped it for one from another bike. Lets say someone bought a Malossi Variator, and wanted a bigger bike. They swap out from who ever bought the good stuff, and set in the older stuff. Whatever... It really don't matter now.

I'd start w/ a set of rollers/good spring, and an 82-85 main jet. With everything else adjusted right the bike should run 40-45 all day every day.
If you want more go up to a 70-90cc big bore, and get 50-55 all day every day.

I have a GY 6 that is 90cc, and I ride 55mph everywhere/everyday. Going on 4 years now I had one crankshaft fail (left side bearings), one variator fail (due to a broken case on a Dr. Pulley slider), and two carbs. . all together I am still under 150 bucks into the bike for parts. (forgot 3 spark plugs).

The engine is fool proof. Meaning even a fool can't destroy them.

Adjust your valves, install a set of 5.5 rollers (or 7gr Dr. Pulley), and a control spring. Take it from there to see what you need/want from the bike. You should be seeing 40+ mph.

OEM you are lucky to see 30-35 mph

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()