Author Topic: Fuel Gauge: In the Red  (Read 1421 times)

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Fuel Gauge: In the Red
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
How many miles from top of red to complete empty?

Yesterday, starting my early morning commute, I glanced at the fuel gauge and to my surprise, I found myself at the border edge of the red. There is a fueling station near my house, another on route about 3/4 of the way of my commute, and another closest to my work place. My commute is approx. 13 miles, each way.

I skipped the first gas station thinking I can make it to the final station closest to my work. Well, I didn't think I was gonna make it, so I stopped at the station that is 3/4 of the way of my commute. Filled up with 1.1 gallons of gas. IIR, our small tank capacity is 1.3 gallons, yes? Good thing I stopped, because I don't think I would have made it to the final gas station on just 0.2 gallons of gas (near fumes)....... lol
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:34:06 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Gauge: In the Red
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:03 PM »
You have to figure you had about a quart of fuel so whatever your mileage is divided by that.
ie: 75 mpg / 4 = roughly 18 miles.

All our bikes are a little different, and the light will come on with varying amounts of fuel.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 05:40:14 AM »
I was out on my Super8 one day, just enjoying a day off with sunshine, and kinda forgot to watch my fuel gauge, like an IDIOT!
When I finally looked down, it was at the bottom of the red.  :o
I was halfway between one town and the next, with roughly 4 or 5 miles to the next gas station!  :o  :o
I managed to make it to the station, with the fuel gauge pointing at the big E!
When I took the cap off, the was less than 1/4 inch of gas swishing around the bottom of the tank. I think if the station had been another mile away, I probably would have been walking the scoot there at the end.
I watch the fuel gauge religiously now, and always top it off when it first touches the red zone!

Duke- 8)
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 06:05:33 AM »
My Super 8's gas gauge's broken for many months now... I just peek in the gas tank every ride... I now know when to fill up or not yet to fill up...  ;) ;) ;) 

manimal

• 2013 Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »
I tracked the miles this morning. I had travelled approx. 8 miles to the station I had gassed up at. Prior to filling up, the needle was about a 1/16" above E. It's really hard to say whether or not I would have made it to that next fueling station (4 miles later), as I didn't wanna risk having to pushing the scoot to get gas, if I didn't make it :p

Keep in mind, my avg speed is 50ish mph (3/4 - 7/8 of consistent throttle) throughout my commute. So my mileage probably isn't the best.

I am guestimating I have a 10ish mile range from top of red to E
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:48:49 PM by manimal »
~Daren
California (Nor*Cal)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()