Poll

why, oh why is my venox250 burning 10 liters in city drive?

carburetor problem
2 (100%)
spark plugs faulty
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: fuel consumption  (Read 3122 times)

zel

• View Profile
fuel consumption
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:57 AM »
why, oh why is my venox250 burning 10 liters in city drive? everything seems to be fine with carbs, bike runs nice and smooth, it gains speed with an ease but consumption is enormous

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:19:02 AM »
Listen to your wife, and go on that damn diet. Everything will get better.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:50:32 AM »
funny, but that won`t help, I am not heavier  than 92kg, something else must be in affect. Can carburetor malfunction even if it runs great, I wonder......I was thinking that someone might have had same problem with Venox before, and give me a solution, that`s why I claim for help.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »
How long of a city drive? I can drive in the "city" where i live for over 100 miles
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:52:48 PM »
The very first thing I would do Zel is a compression test. Even if it is a BRAND NEW bike. You have to know the condition of the top end before you start poking around.
Second is a vacuum draw test or cylinder balance test on the manifolds before the carbs. That will tell you if the carbs/cylinders are synced.

If you have a good ear, and experience with dual carb set ups, I would then go to slide opening measurements, and finally mixture, and rpm adjustments.

New spark plugs, fuel filter(s), and air filters are always installed before any tuning work. If you tune the bike w/ old parts you have an "out of tune, but running as good as it can bike".

You didn't give near enough info for anyone to trouble shoot anything. What kind of fuel mileage is it getting in both city, and highway?
What year is the bike? How many miles on the bike? How long have you owned the bike? Is it stored indoors or do you live near to salt water, and park it outside? What are you wearing?

All that stuff helps us help you. (except the what you wearing bit. that just amuses me.)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
G'day Zel, and welcome to the asylum  :D.
I don't do any commuting or city riding on the pony, only decent runs up or down the coast, or up through some of the mountain ranges I'm lucky enough to have within easy reach ... exactly the same places all the bigger bikes are going  :), ( sorry gang, I just had to throw that in again, but it's bloody well true !!! ). She gets a fair work out through the gears up through the ranges, especially two  up, ( she is only a 250 remember, but she's a tough little nugget in my opinion ! ), but  I'm getting anything between 25 - 29 klms per litre, or what ever that is in m.p.g.
Dunno if that's anything for you to go by or not, but ride safe any way Amigo.
Regards, Hairy Bob.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:34:24 AM by Hairy Bob »
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
That's about 400 miles per kilometer
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
Or the speed of light divided by azeotrope, plus 2 quarts. Roughly 100 MPG.

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 08:29:35 PM »
Like I said Zel ... welcome to the asylum  ;D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »
I can't thank you enough for the welcome. Now a days a simple "Hello" means a lot.

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »
Hello Zed ... how's yer chooks ol mate ?  ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 12:36:24 PM »
They've gone rabid mate. How's your moms... ;D ;D ;D  ::)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
Once in awhile we get a 'hit, and run" poster. I can only assume that means, not everyone has oodles of free time.

I prefer running around w/ the chickens myself. I wonder if they have a chook day somewhere??

zel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:01 AM »
sorry zombie, I was away for couple of days , did not have web with me, compression test has been done and measures good 17±2kg/cm². bike is burning 10 l per 100 km in city of Split, Croatia, it is a bit hilly city, but far from that consumption. Bike is made in 2004. it has got 14 000 km on it , and yes I do live by the sea, but bike is in garage and in use every day. On the open road it burns 7 l /100 km, this is when I wear leather gear . I will do a vacuum draw test or cylinder balance test on the manifolds before the carbs. That will tell me if the carbs/cylinders are synced. thnx for now.......I will tell everyone that bike has 1100 cc and everything will be fine, couse it has the look, till I solve the consumption problem....

zel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »
I do all wrigt, aussie, how ya doin down under mate, cold winter isn`t it, mate?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()