Author Topic: Flat spot in the throttle response  (Read 4349 times)

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Flat spot in the throttle response
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:03:17 PM »
Trying to maintain a steady 35mph the throttle response is nil, it either slows down or you need to increase the throttle to get back to 35mph, it's also very jerky in the throttle response. When you check for blinks on the CEL I get 2-7-7 consistently. Checked it at least 20 times and a couple of times it blinked 5-2-7-7. What do these trouble codes mean, actual single digits or 52-77, 5-2-77? This might be like stigs problem, I'm very disappointed right now. My scanner isn't here yet.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:15:34 PM by 2wheelfun »

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Re: Flat spot in the throttle response
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:13:33 PM »
Maximum Codes on a Synerject AFI/ECU are 25.

Therefore I assume, that your Blinks mean (according to general Kymco workshop manual):

5.... Throttle Position Sensor Cutout
2.... Crankshaft Position Sensor Malfunction
7.... Airpressure Sensor (Throttlebody) Malfunction

Good Luck!

Edit: Hmmm, my Manual says for Code 7 something else than Stigs List.... Interesting. Obviously there are differences between the models.
Well then, its getting even more difficult without a Diagnosis Tool. Sorry.  :(

Edit II: 7.... TPS/T-MAP Sensor (Manifold Air Temperature and Pressure Sensor)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:52:14 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
Trying to maintain a steady 35mph the throttle response is nil, it either slows down or you need to increase the throttle to get back to 35mph, it's also very jerky in the throttle response. When you check for blinks on the CEL I get 2-7-7 consistently. Checked it at least 20 times and a couple of times it blinked 5-2-7-7. What do these trouble codes mean, actual single digits or 52-77, 5-2-77? This might be like stigs problem, I'm very disappointed right now. My scanner isn't here yet.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 08:25:08 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
Stig, thats the Diagram for the Keihin Systems. The Synerject System have very different blinking patterns.
My information is, that the Like 200i has a Synerject ECU/AFI. But maybe there are also (older) Models that have the Keihin System.
The Keihin Code System consists of 66 Codes.
(None of the given possibilities/variations in this case do exist in the Keihin system) -> therefore Synerject

To confirm, we should have info of the exact blinking on/off pattern and time after key on. Because there is no Branding on the ECU which says Keihin or Synerject (as far as I know).

But, as you will have contact with Kymco anyway the next days, maybe you want to do us a favor and clearify this Synerject/Keihin Question on behalf of us all?  ??? :)

Edit:
Synerject Blinking Pattern description to whom it may concern
If no Fault Codes are stored, the CELP Lamp will go out 2 seconds (lamp test) after key on and will remain dark.
If one or more fault codes are stored, the lamp will return 3 seconds after the lamp test (2 seconds) and will stay on permanently during the ride.
To check the fault codes you need to activate first the code read mode as following:
Key off - FullThrottle and hold - Key on - lamp test for 2 seconds - after 3 seconds the lamp will go on again - now release the throttle grip back to idle - now the fault codes will start to show up and blink. Numerically and sequentially. Code 1 before Code 5 and if there were more faults you get a blinking-break for 8 seconds between the codes.
If all codes were shown, the loop starts from the beginning until key off or maximum 5 loops.
The faultcode blinks last each for 1 second. So fault code 1 is 1 blink for 1 second and fault code 25 will be 25 blinks each for one second.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:23:47 PM by vespbretta »
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »
2wheel,
Maybe:
A simple to find & fix - please remove the underseat pan and check that little vent hose which comes from the neck of the gas tank.
On some LIKE's that hose is routed over to the R side and tucked under the plastic body work....the problem is that it could be pinched nearly shut in that position. Mine was, and it is mentioned in repair manuals. Take hold of that hose and position it so that it is not being pinched. If your gas cap gives off a sucking noise when you open it (a n y time !) it also may not be venting properly and need to have its venting openings cleared.

FYI- my troubles are most likely due to holding that throttle opening at a very specific position (and road speed) for thousands of miles. It has worn out the throttle position sensor in that area and is now sending erratic information to the brain....causing erratic fuel injecting and engine speed.

My infromation for the EFI self finding codes , taken from the dash light with the key on (engine off) is copied from my cyclepedia manual. The manual states this is information for a 2012 LIKE 200i.

Do not be discouraged - engine problems have been very few and every other LIKE owner has gotten his engine issue sorted out - and I probably will, too....some day.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
Tokk the seat pan out and the vent hose was routed properly, at least I know its good now. Was easy peasy to pull.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
Got the low down from the dealer today. They said they fixed the low idle/stalling problem, didn't say how but bumping the idle screw up a 1/4 turn is my guess. The CEL codes were set sometime in the past before I bought the scoot and were caused by sensors being unplugged then not cleared. Only the dealer I bought it from could have done that. The flat spot in the throttle at 30/35mph they minimized in it's scope but did acknowledge a flat spot there ie. no response. They said they were aware of problems online concerning the throttle response issue and were awaiting a response from Kymco. I'm thinking the ball is in Kymcos court now and we'll see how they honor their warranty. This is not what I expected out of a Kymco scooter.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:24 PM »
New owner of a Movie 150. The Like is someone else's problem now. I have a Kymco scanner for sale if anyone wants one. Good price, just asking what I paid, $120 shipped or $110 local/Denver area.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 12:23:28 AM »
New owner of a Movie 150. The Like is someone else's problem now. I have a Kymco scanner for sale if anyone wants one. Good price, just asking what I paid, $120 shipped or $110 local/Denver area.
2Wheel,
Well, OK. I understand you do not want to be fooling with a new scooter that has running issues already.
Also, you do not seem to be real thrilled with your dealer.
Kymcos are pretty good scooters....but that being said - I am impressed that you bought another Kymco product.
Don't know that we've a lot of Movie owners here. Could we see a few pictures of it and your riding impressions.
Also, would you be willing to give the details of taking a LIKE to the dealer and coming home with a Movie? Did Kymco USA step in and help with your issue, or no?
Ride it safe.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
No deal with Kymco, did it on my own. The deal that I had evaporated with the Like 200i when I traded it in. Ended up paying close to msrp for the movie with the trade in value. I have not lost confidence in Kymco's quality, just believe the Like I had was possessed by gremlins. I'm positive nothing short of a new throttle body would fix it, you know TPS, ECU
and other sensors go with it. Dealer won't admit that and no word at all from Kymco. I just wanted it gone. I need something dependable and be able to ride. The movie's 13.5hp impressed me, 4 valve head, front/rear disc and the lights look awesome. Going down the road the movie lights up like a freight train seen from afar. Plus the movie has a carb and I'm sure any fuel issues pop up can fix it myself and be in control of the situation.......will post later on movie 150s ride impression.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 09:08:05 PM »
No deal with Kymco, did it on my own. The deal that I had evaporated with the Like 200i when I traded it in. Ended up paying close to msrp for the movie with the trade in value. I have not lost confidence in Kymco's quality, just believe the Like I had was possessed by gremlins. I'm positive nothing short of a new throttle body would fix it, you know TPS, ECU
and other sensors go with it. Dealer won't admit that and no word at all from Kymco. I just wanted it gone. I need something dependable and be able to ride. The movie's 13.5hp impressed me, 4 valve head, front/rear disc and the lights look awesome. Going down the road the movie lights up like a freight train seen from afar. Plus the movie has a carb and I'm sure any fuel issues pop up can fix it myself and be in control of the situation.......will post later on movie 150s ride impression.
Super reply, thanks.
Sounds like you're enjoying your Movie already.I was surprised to see that the Movie is no longer a current model from Kymco! Geez, seemed like they just came out with that scoot.
(you know, Kymco spends a lot of $ designing the shapes of these scoots - then they blindfold a guy and give him a Sunday NY Times and have him point to a word in the paper to name it!)
I'm still hanging in there on EFI'd scoots.....
Stig
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:21:39 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()