Author Topic: 2007 Xciting 500i speedo stopped working but odometer still works ?  (Read 2652 times)

sawdrl

• View Profile
Hi,

Apologies if this has already been raised, but I am a new member having recently acquired an Xciting 500i. The speedo just stopped working, but the odometer continues to register miles travelled. I've removed, cleaned and re-installed the speedo sensor but it still doesn't work. Curiously when I turn off the ignition the needle rises to '0 kph' then drops back down to the stop ? Looks like some sort of electrical wiring failure to me, but all cable connections seems to be in sealed connectors so nowhere to look for faults ?????????

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 2007 Xciting 500i speedo stopped working but odometer still works ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
If the ODO is working then the sensor, and wires to the cluster are good. If the needle moves then the servo is also good.

I remember a post on here (somewhere) where the poster had the same issue. I THINK he fixed it by disconnecting the battery, turning on the key (to draw any stray current),reconnecting the battery.
I believe he had to repeat this 2-3 times, and it reset everything.

It was sometime this summer if you want to try to search it out.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sawdrl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
Checked it again this evening and its even odder than I first thought. The speedo needle is actually below the stop ! This means it must have swung round 360 degrees and stayed wrong side of the stop. When I switch the ignition on, the needle edges up towards the stop, then nothing for obvious reasons...............it can't swing clockwise up past 0 kph because it hits the stop !!!!!!
I did read the post about resetting by disconnecting the battery with ignition 'on', then re-connecting with key in same position, however mine is a fuel injection model and there are loads of warnings not to do the battery disconnect thing in case the ECU is damaged.
Frustrating or what ?????????????

Suggestions very welcome.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:02:23 AM »
Don't worry about upsetting the ECU. That's a non issue.
 Since you are behind the stop you're gonna have to physically open it up, and correct it. I see no other option.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

sawdrl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »
I can now categorically state that the speedo reset procedure outlined in earlier threads does work on the fuel injected model. Having read as many posts as I could find on the topic, my conclusion was that battery condition plays a significant part in apparent speedo failures. I wondered about this as my bike had a new battery fitted just before I bought it, so the speedo glitch must have happened when the previous owner was using it with a dying battery.

My advice for anyone with similar problems is as follows :

1. With ignition turned off, disconnect the battery completely.
2. Make sure your battery is fully charged. I charged mine overnight on my Optimate charger/conditioner.
3. Reconnect the positive terminal fully.
4. Switch ignition normal 'on' position.
5. Press and hold negative connector to battery terminal, watching the dials as you do that. The dials will sweep, my speedo needle 
   was the wrong side of the stop, so it swept anti-clockwise and came to rest on the correct side of the stop.
6. Still holding the negative connector to the terminal, insert and tighten the bolt so that it is fully reconnected to the battery.
7. Switch ignition off.
8. If the dials have done a sweep as mine did, that is the reset completed.
9. Test ride - my speedo is now operating normally. Performance is exactly as it was prior to doing the reset so it seems to have had
    no effect on the ECU at all.

Obviously I take no responsibility for any problems other owners may encounter trying this fix, all I can say is that it was very simple and it worked perfectly on my fuel injected bike.

Final point : If you do decide to try this fix 'MAKE SURE THAT YOUR BATTERY IS IN GOOD CONDITION AND IS FULLY CHARGED BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING'

Good luck !

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
Well hells bells, and Kudos for you! Glad it worked out.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()