Author Topic: People S 50-200 front fork oil capacity?  (Read 4042 times)

Peopless50

• View Profile
People S 50-200 front fork oil capacity?
« on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:37 PM »
Hello, I have been checking this forum and found interesting information about front fork oilseal change and oil change There was some Downtown 300i owner, who said that 185cc is ok.  But then the People S 150 owner said that it is too much.  Then Kymco dealer suggested that 61cc is the right amount of oil.  The original Kymco People S50/S200 shop manual does not say anything about front fork oil change.
I tried 80cc, but the fork feels like too soft.  It is a terrible invention this  fork endplug without any place for a tool, just some snapring.
Does anybody know the real amount of oil and viscosity?  It would be nice to get this scooter on the road after having put all new parts in the engine. My People scooter is actually 3hp 45 km/t finnish EU-model, but the frame and suspension is the same as in 150 and 200 models.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: People S 50-200 front fork oil capacity?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
you are correct, the service manual makes no mention (that I can find) of fork oil viscosity or quantity.

Did you happen to capture and measure the old fluid that you removed?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:23:19 AM »
Earlier thread says 61cc.

https://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=22488.0

I used 95cc thereabouts in my SYM. but it's a tetch bigger, so that's probably in the ballpark.
I didn't do the forks on the S while I had it sadly so no direct report there.

Far as viscosity goes.  You'll likely want to stick with a 10 weight range or it'll be too stiff.
Do check the VI on 'em though, the "Weight" reflects the viscosity to a greater extent but they vary a lot & that makes more difference than "Weight".

I used the Maxima 10 wt on both SYMs.  Smoothed 'em out a bit vs. the factory.  I prefer it to the Amsoil I'd had in one of them as well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 01:30:39 AM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Peopless50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 07:45:03 AM »
Thanks for the answers.  I read the Agility 16" and Super 8 shopmanuals.  The oil capacity is 97ml there.  Because the 16" Agility must have almost the same front fork, i will try adding 20ml  10W forkoil today.  Once i had a Baotian 12" scooter and i put 110ml oil and the fork did not work at all.
A little bit too soft front end is better than too stiff.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 12:38:14 AM »
Go hit some big bumps and if you like it and it doesn't leak you're probably good.
With the guy who'd used 61 had reported back with results though.

Please let us know how that goes.  The S is on my list of bikes I'd buy again.

Thanks for the answers.  I read the Agility 16" and Super 8 shopmanuals.  The oil capacity is 97ml there.  Because the 16" Agility must have almost the same front fork, i will try adding 20ml  10W forkoil today.  Once i had a Baotian 12" scooter and i put 110ml oil and the fork did not work at all.
A little bit too soft front end is better than too stiff.

Peopless50

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
Yesterday I added the 20cc oil, so there is 100cc in total. Now it works well with enough damping power.  If somebody wants to do the same job, i found out that the easiest way is to add the oil from the bottom. The upper plug was so stuck, that i could not remove it. 
Now my People is almost ready. Next week the Metzeler front tire will be installed and new brakepads. The original speedometer had got water in it because of the missing computer rubberknob.  I installed a new mechanical counter from a Baotian scooter.
The reason why the the motor had seized was the oilpump sprocket, that had lost 12 teeth.  Connecting rod and piston were broken.
Now it has has 47mm piston and cylinder and all other moving parts and camchain etc.  Maybe it has been ridden 15000 km on it, because there was original 2006 year tire in front. Now this People S 50 will start its new life in Vaasa, Finland.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »
Did you try to loosen (not remove) the top nut before removing it from the triple tee?

Yesterday I added the 20cc oil, so there is 100cc in total. Now it works well with enough damping power.  If somebody wants to do the same job, i found out that the easiest way is to add the oil from the bottom. The upper plug was so stuck, that i could not remove it. 
Now my People is almost ready. Next week the Metzeler front tire will be installed and new brakepads. The original speedometer had got water in it because of the missing computer rubberknob.  I installed a new mechanical counter from a Baotian scooter.
The reason why the the motor had seized was the oilpump sprocket, that had lost 12 teeth.  Connecting rod and piston were broken.
Now it has has 47mm piston and cylinder and all other moving parts and camchain etc.  Maybe it has been ridden 15000 km on it, because there was original 2006 year tire in front. Now this People S 50 will start its new life in Vaasa, Finland.

Peopless50

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
I took the telescopic foot away and tried to use this trick:

Unfortunately my workbench does not have revolving holder. Honda Innova has the same plug system and with proper tools the plug can be taken away. My method is easier and a lot faster. Simply turn the fork upside down and pour the oil in through the bottom bolt opening.
I have seen worse systems.  Orion chinese 50cc moped has a upsidedown fork with riveted bottom plug. I was so curious that i opened the fork outer tube with anglegrinder. I had to buy a complete front fork from a Derbi moped, where the fork is serviceable.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:08:38 PM by Peopless50 »

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 01:04:31 AM »
Heck I try not to argue with success.  So sounds good. I've heard various ways of doing this so always good to hear of success with another one.
I was just curious if you'd tried that method.
I normally crack the nut in the T then remove the shock, & use a clamp table to hold it while draining, then filling & do the final torque down on the nut after I clamp it back into the 3T.

I took the telescopic foot away and tried to use this trick:

Unfortunately my workbench does not have revolving holder. Honda Innova has the same plug system and with proper tools the plug can be taken away. My method is easier and a lot faster. Simply turn the fork upside down and pour the oil in through the bottom bolt opening.
I have seen worse systems.  Orion chinese 50cc moped has a upsidedown fork with riveted bottom plug. I was so curious that i opened the fork outer tube with anglegrinder. I had to buy a complete front fork from a Derbi moped, where the fork is serviceable.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()